New here. Just bought a YARNS

I just bought a YARNS. It is bloody brilliant.

I have hardly had to read any instructions and already have it:

• cabled to Behringer D and 0-Coast
  • running counterpoint sequences to both (R1 and R2 yay)
  • synced to Digitakt and receiving tempo and start/stop messages

This is a lot of fun. What a great little computer masquerading as a midi / cv controller

Is there a limit to sequences beyond 64 steps, I mean, if I have 4 instruments connected do I get 4x 64 steps or is it 64 divided by number of instruments?

1 Like

You get 4 x 64 steps.

1 Like

That is awesome. I am loving this device so much.

Crazy flexibility.

Also, my cat is really enjoying the spinning top.

1 Like

Is there any reason i could not use multiple YARNS devices together? I imagine I would just set different midi channels per PART and it should be just fine. Yeah?

Yarns is pretty flexible in this area and was kind of designed with daisy-chaining in mind, you should be able to set individual channels per part, turn on or off MIDI forwarding of each part, share polyphony across multiple Yarns, etc.

Check out 2>, 4>, and 8> layouts and “Output MIDI Mode” in the manual for details!

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and say that Yarns is one of those modules that forever changed the way I use my modular. I only rarely use anything other than 4M mode, but I will never part with it.

1 Like

Yeah massively useful Swiss army knife. I am buying a Tonestar 2600 which has no midi module, so I just randomly searched MIDI TO CV EURORACK and found the YARNS and thought the sequencer was a nice add on feature. I did not realise how flexible it would be.

QUESTION - can I change the DEFAULT settings? I would make them

BPM External
PA1 - CH8
PA2 - CH9
PA3 - CH10
PA4 - CH11

Basic things like that

Yep!

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns/manual/#saving-recalling-and-backing-up-programs

1 Like

Oh I am so sorry. I have read the manual but missed this part -

“When Yarns is powered on, the first program (P1) is always loaded. It is recommended to regularly save your work there.”

So that solves that question. Thanks for your patience.

That’s why forums exist. I think only a small segment of the population can casually read manuals and retain all the information. The rest of us learn from exploration and friendly tips.

1 Like

Definitely! Yarns is deep, I think it’s the only thing in recent memory I’ve printed the manual for. Largely a waste of paper though, I learned a lot more just diving in and from posts here! Good to know there is a manual to reference though if you forget something.

Thanks Robert and Brian. I am really happy with the Yarns. And a good support community as well as well written manuals is a great thing.

My first patchable purchase was an 0-Coast (outstanding), then a Behringer D clone (does what it should).

Then I bought a Lifeforms SV-1 and had a horrible experience with 2 different units not maintaining tune across a single octave even though a required fix was applied. That unit got returned (twice).

I am waiting on the Tonestar 2600 and also next week will pick up a Strymon Magneto and aa.1

After that I figure there will be a few more Mutable Instruments in the list. Maybe GRIDS and BRAIDS next.

I am considering Yarns. I am a little confused about using two together. I’ve read the manual, so forgiv e me if this is a stupid question but what benefits do you get using two together? What options do you have using two? Thanks a lot…

Presumably it would be to control more synth voices, for more polyphony, or maybe to have some extra channels of euclidean rhythms.

1 Like

I just moved all my mother-32’s into one case and I’m thinking of controlling them with my yarns. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change yarns’ cv output to -5 to 5V instead of the (I’m assuming) default 0-10V? Just skimmed the manual but couldn’t find anything that jumped out at me about scaling. Thanks!

Yarns goes from -3V to +7V. It’s a hardware limitation – replacing resistors would be possible to shift or increase this range, but you would have to redo the calibration with a precise multimeter; and this will alter all features expecting 0V to be somewhere at 30% of the range (repurposing of CV outputs as gates, oscillators…)

You can use the transposition feature to shift things up and down. This should be enough for the Mother32.

2 Likes