New Braids user with a few questions

Hi All,

Relatively new Braids owner here, its a powerful wee-beastie but I was wondering if 1.5 is the end of the planned development or if more is on the cards?

I have a few minor tweaks, I’d like to make but I don’t run a Mac OS or Linux am I right in thinking that makes things difficult.

How can I view the wavetable data in the .bin file?

Thanks

Ross

The flash is almost full, so I don’t plan new developments.

The wavetable file can be opened in audacity as raw data - select a low sample rate like 8kHz, and 8 bit unsigned.

Ok, I had heard that may be the case.

Ahh that worked, thanks.

If I was to add chords to the digital osc WTX4 after line 1646 and increase the array count of [17] accordingly would this work? Or would I need to alter the mapping of the control to the range of values? After line 1394 I believe it is listing the addresses of the waves used in each wavetable for WTBL, can this be experimented with for example could you add more table lists and change the contents of the tables? and presumably the first figure needs to set the number of waves in the table? And finally would you say there is enough space left for me to add modified versions of say the above wavetable oscs, or would I need to replace them to stay within the resource limit?

Sorry for all the questions.

I have dabbled with code but not C++, so I am just looking for common concepts but appreciate I could be missing a lot.

Thanks again

> If I was to add chords to the digital osc WTX4 after line 1646 and increase the array count of [17] accordingly would this work?

You’d have to edit lines 1689 to 1692 accordingly. The fact that the size is a power of 2 + 1 is essential to the way the code works. So you’ll need to figure out how the crossfading works to add more chords… Note that 17 is already very crowded!

> can this be experimented with for example could you add more table lists and change the contents of the tables? and presumably the first figure needs to set the number of waves in the table?

Yes, this can be changed. You need to adjust line 1459 to match the size of the table.

The first number in a row is the number of waves in the table.

> And finally would you say there is enough space left for me to add modified versions of say the above wavetable oscs, or would I need to replace them to stay within the resource limit?

There’s enough room if you want to create a variant of the wavetable oscillator (say RenderWavetables2 which would use a different set of tables).

I’m trying to change Braids 1.8 code so the WTX4 chord structures match Rings’ chord modes. This brings the total chords from 17 down to 11. I successfully modified the chord structure array in the code at line 1736, compiled it and loaded it via wav but I missed the part where the total number of chord types is reduced. Now after 11 I get some weirdness. The code line numbers above seem to be for an older version. Where can I adjust the total number of chords please?

Also, should I continue to pursue this or will it be impossible to ever really match Rings chord structures at the same voltage? I do notice that Rings doesn’t completely space the chords evenly around the knob; there is “empty space” near full CW and full CCW.
Thanks…

Here’s the line

You don’t see 17 anywhere, because this is actually a division by (17 - 1) = 16, which is implemented as shifts.

From the top of my head something like this would work…

int32_t scaled = int32_t(parameter_[1]) * (32768 / (NUMBER_OF_CHORDS - 1));
uint16_t chord_integral = scaled >> 16;
uint16_t chord_integral = scaled & 0xffff;

I’m not sure what you mean about voltages. Rings does space the chord evenly around the knob, the “empty space” is due to the small plateaus that are part of the response of any potentiometer.