Need advice on job interview

Once again i have hit the unemployment line! So this time i actually found a neat job really close to my house, electronic assembly. Now i can slay retail / cashier interviews i dont think i have had an interview that i havent got the job (accept when i wore a reganomics t shirt to a drug store interview) but i really dont know what to expect from this one. I guess im just wondering if anyone has experience in a field of this as to what i should wear and what to look for / what they would like to hear. Thanks if this is alittle off for the forum just get rid of it!

avoid flip flops. Listen to what they say they need and relate that to your skill set ( a realistic account)

Just like making a product sound unique to a customer, communicating how you would BENEFIT the company rather than listing all the inapplicable FEATURES that you’ve acquired as a human being. Dressing rather formally has never failed me, if you’re overdressed slightly that let’s them know that you think highly of the position and the people interviewing you.

Worked in electronics for about six months last year with no professional experience in it before that…I agree about dressing well, communicate that you are interested enough in the stuff that it is also a hobby, though don’t dwell on that it expect too much from it.

My supervisor gave me a math quiz, though I think that is rare in the interview process :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I agree about looking and behaving somewhat professionally. However, don’t overdo it. It’s better to “be yourself” and come across as a decent and honest person who’s nice to work with than to be all stiff and stressed out because you’re trying to behave like someone you really aren’t.

Don’t get stressed out when you don’t do well on a math quiz or something like it. It’s not necessarily the most important part of the interview at all.

Second @thijs tips. If it is possible, I think keeping things conversational and asking whatever questions you might be curious about is a help, too. Shows interest, plus it is useful information anyway.

My last three interviews (all in the last year…but I chose the job changes and now I am in a decent, stable position) I think speaking candidly about what questions you have (including $$$, though don’t push it) and honestly answering the question about your weaknesses or shortcomings is good. Plus, a technical weakness in a job is something you can often learn easily in the sort of position you are applying for.

FWIW I am wearing about the same outfit to Thanksgiving dinner as I wear to an interview…for me that would be clean non- denim pants, collared shirt, and a sweater to give an idea.

I don’t know about the size of the business, but when I interview potential employees I’m much more interested in whether the person will be someone I can work with and whether he or she will be willing and able to learn than what he or she has done and what his or her capabilities right now are.

>reganomics t shirt
I hope you aren’t Catholic.

>needs a job
One should just trickle-down to you when someone dies in the field you are looking into.

Ok, I’ll be serious now. :slight_smile:
Don’t act like someone you aren’t. A genuine personality will take you farther than a disingenuous one. They could always fire you if they didn’t hire who they thought they were hiring.
Dress nicely. No jeans and a button up shirt will be a good start. It’s not like this is the kind of attire you wear while soldering, so they won’t expect you to come to work dressed like this every day.
Don’t be nervous. You are supposed to know how to assemble electronics. Confidence will show that you know what you are getting into with this job and can handle it.

Pretty much what altitude andthijs said. Let us know how it goes.

A lot of interviewers make up their mind early during interviews, even at that point when you walk through that door. Hence, recommend that you dress appropriately and be natural. To be natural you could speak as if like you are already an employee in an office meeting.

Walk in there like you own the place, light a smoke. Sit down. Make eye contact as you exhale massive cloud of smoke all over their office.

Then say, “So, am I getting this job, or what?”.

That’s how the pros do it.

EDIT: Honestly, best thing you can do is to stop over preparing and worrying yourself by asking questions on internet forums =).

You have to relax. That’s the most important thing. You may need the job, but they need you more! Right? Now take it easy, get some sleep, don’t drink too much coffee tomorrow so you aren’t all jittery by the time you sit down with the interviewer- you’ll be fine!

Thanks guys i was thinking about going with the Kenny Powers way “walked in with a shotgun and a bottle of Tanqueray showed those people the best damn time of their lives.” But i think the dress as if going to a family dinner idea will work better, i was thinking polo jeans cause they clearly said ill be in the back so i figured it might be a more work shop type area instead of the office front. Its a really small company they offer like 2 bucks over minimum wage. As for ask tons of questions and list flaws i suck at that i usually say something along the lines as im a push over for getting extra work / hours dumped on. What should i be asking besides hours, pay, and do i need to bring my own tools i guess?

Maybe inquire about safety precautions? Soldering is great, but a full on workshop without a fume extractor is not terribly sweet.

Well, you don’t need to really look for flaws you suck at (unless you mean you suck at having flaws, which might be good?), I just meant that you shouldn’t misrepresent yourself if that question comes up, which is definitely the recurring theme here.

It’s an entry-level position, so you don’t have too much to worry about as far as previous skills, but if they ask “have you hand-soldered 0806 SMD components” and you have only done through-hole, don’t act like you have.

Similarly, given that my last two jobs (including my current one) have had lower-than-standard starting pay for similar positions, when they asked me what I thought of the wage/salary, I was honest in saying that it was acceptable for me now and that I’m excited for the position regardless, but that I hope as my value in the position increases, that pay will, too. I think this is a good thing because often interviewers aren’t only looking for someone to fill an immediate position, but also people with enough self-motivation that they want to improve themselves, rather than someone who is accepting of shitty pay and will often end up being a slacker. That was definitely an issue at my electronics factory job; lots of folks who were just there because it was better than McDonald’s. Just my 2 cents.

@weNiverse makes a good point, also. Some interviewers don’t necessarily think of everything you might want to know. I had to ask to see what my workspace would be like at my last job, so sometimes it is really simple things. If it’s full-time and you get to the point in the interview when it is appropriate, definitely ask about benefits.

Oh, show up early, too. Late (at all) and you’re toast at any decent place. 15 minutes early is courteous but not annoying in my experience.

Just be interested and honest and that’s about as much as you can do.

Don’t hit on the receptionist until after.

Always tricky, interviews … I’ve just been ‘on the other side’ for the last two days,
and was most impressed when the people we interviewed (on the phone, as they
are all over the place) were:

• prepared (looking up stuff, ready for the ‘obvious’ questions, etc.)

• confident but not over-confident (or arrogant), but not too shy either

• willing to admit they don’t know something: honesty rules !

• had questions prepared for us (but not about money)

As for what to wear I cannot comment: not very important in our job (and … ehh … it probably
shows in my case), and as said, we did phone interviews …
People do tend do dress up a little for actual interview (I’ve only done
two in my life), but still ‘casual’. Overdressing is also not done, it seems …