My Ambika is doing lots of funky things, turning off randomly, taking a while to display info, ect

I just put in my first and only voice card, i thought the motherboard was good to go as i went over it again and again when i had problems with it but i suspect there are still some problems with it. I had my ATMega64 programmed by the ambika store people so although i’m not ruling out that this could be software related i’d like to rule out all of the hardware issues first because theres obviously more room for error

• sometimes it just won’t turn on and i have to let it rest, the big heatsink also gets hot but i assure you i am using the correct adapter and the correct diodes are in place.

• sometimes, it’ll freeze, it’s strange but everything will stay the same on the lcd but everything will just be unresponsive

• it’ll start up pretty fast if it’s been off for a while but if i’ve been having problems with it and turn it off and on it’ll either stay off or take a very long time to boot

• when i turn it off it makes a loud and strange phaser kinda sound, as if it’s discharging the capacitors.

-even when the part LED lights up and the musical note symbol is showing it still won’t make a sound

I reckon there’s something funky going on with the power supply

Do you use an AC power supply ? If yes, please post the specs of it…just to double-check that this is not the culprit.

it’s a 1amp 9v ac/ac

i was told to get 1.5 amps but all i could get was a 1 amp unit and the ambika does use 1 amp so it should be fine

To be honest: it is never a good idea to use a power supply over 80% of it’s spec, as these specs are more likely calculated specs than being measured at quality control. Except some more costly brands. Your problems do sound like power supply problems, so i would suggest to find someone in your neighbourhood, who may have a power supply in these specs to swap and rule this cause out, before searching somewhere else.

Well i just purchased a 9v 2 amp AC/AC power supply off of ebay and it will be here by Wednesday.

Do you have any idea why i can’t get my ambika to play any music? the note led doesn’t turn on at all when i play my keyboard but the note symbol lights up and the data light is always on on the voice card.

> sometimes it just won’t turn on and i have to let it rest, the big heatsink also gets hot but i assure you i am using the correct adapter and the correct diodes are in place.

> sometimes, it’ll freeze, it’s strange but everything will stay the same on the lcd but everything will just be unresponsive

No idea, never seen that…

> when i turn it off it makes a loud and strange phaser kinda sound, as if it’s discharging the capacitors.

I don’t think it’s an issue.

> even when the part LED lights up and the musical note symbol is showing it still won’t make a sound

That can happen if you send a MIDI note message on a channel the synth is not listening too.

On which channel are you transmitting notes, and on which channel is Ambika listening?

Thanks for helping me again pichenettes

I think i’ve been getting a short, i’ve left my leads on both the motherboard and the voice card long enough that in the event where i do mess up theres enough metal on the lead that i can pull it out and resolder it. it’s happened before and it’s been a life saver. however, my voice card is sitting in the ambika without the appropriate support so it’s been kinda bending down and shorting out the motherboard. i put a piece of paper in there and it’s solved the problem for now.

the only problem left is the voice card not making any sound

Because i’m pretty new to midi (i understand how it works) i’ve been setting part 1 to omni and pushing the vocoder down on page 7, the sequencer page so that it’ll play the sequence so that i can get around messing with the midi but it still makes no sound and the note light doesn’t light up

Also, i’m probably not assigning the part to the voice card properly. Just saying, i’m new to this as you can expect and just want to get a sound out of the thing