Mutable Instruments Plaits

Is it possible to reduce the rate of particle firing in the Particle Noise model to something below that which I am getting by turning the Timbre pot all the way counterclockwise? I am trying to reach somewhere around half of what seems to be the current slowest rate.

Not without modifying the code

Just got my plaits yesterday and it sounds fantastic. I totally love the WT4X mode in braids and I find the wavetable chords in plaits a bit limited compared to braids. Is there a way to get the braids wavetables into plaits?

for example in this track I used braids wtx4 and I feel I would never get this sound out of plaits

2 Likes

I just found a “drum kit” I pieced together a while ago out of Plaits sounds. Mostly kicks and snares. Feel free to use it as you wish if you find it useful.

7 Likes

Is it possible to save the LPG settings (like the decay time) so it’s preserved on a power cycle?

I think you can, but you have to change an algo to save those settings. I think the issue was that saving the settings will cut the sound for a micro second, so by changing the algo you’ll get a glitch on purpose.

1 Like

Thank you! That did the trick. If I remember correctly Braids had the same behavior that the settings was automatically saved on some other state change.

I was wondering if there is a technical limitation that would prevent me from disabling the pitch knob and always have the base tuning of the oscillator be low C?

No technical limitation.

Maybe you can even turn it into a special option for the lower “range” setting, and repurpose the knob as a fine tune setting? Something like this:

if (octave == 0) {  // LFO mode
  patch_->note = -48.37f + transposition_ * 60.0f;
} else if (octave == 1) {  // Lowest setting: low C
  const float fine = transposition_; // Set to 0 if you don't want any fine tuning control.
  patch_->note = fine + 12.0f;
} else if (octave == 9) {  // Full range
  patch_->note = 60.0f + transposition_ * 48.0f;
} else {  // Per-octave tuning
  const float fine = transposition_ * 7.0f;
  patch_->note = fine + static_cast<float>(octave) * 12.0f;
}
4 Likes

My gratitude overflows! :blush:

This is going to come in pretty handy for live performance.

1 Like

I have a strange behavior with Beehive Plaits… When I send 0V into the LEVEL input, there is often some sound coming through. With Stages for example, an orange segment with the fader at the minimum position will still let some sound bleed through Plaits internal VCFA (any situation where Stages is supposed to send 0V lets some sound through). With my Planar2, the Gate output is supposed to rest at 0V when not activated, yet there is still some sound coming through. Pretty much every module I have that’s supposed to send 0V is gonna be opening up the Plaits VCFA just a little bit… Except for my Samara, strangely. Any ideas?

You can try performing the calibration procedure with the Planar2 gate output patched into LEVEL, so that Plaits will “learn” to associate this voltage to silence.

so is this just a calibration problem? I have 2 beehives with the same behavior. just wondering if this issue is known or what. most MI modules will let sound through the VCA when they’re sending 0V (I metered the voltage just to make sure)

Ask the person who made those « Beehive Plaits ». Hint: it’s not me.

9 Likes