Mutable Instruments Plaits

Guys and gals and everything in between… Remember this post where I talked about discontinuing Braids? Well, something has been in the works since March 2016!

So let’s go through my list of gripes about Braids and see how I have decided to fix them.

Braids is too big :gorilla::elephant:

Let’s make something around 12-HP. With big knobs for tuning-related things. Smaller than that and we’ll be stuck in the unplayable valley.

Braids’ interface is inadequate for something that is supposed to be fun and immediate :zzz::computer:

Eliminate the display and menu system, reclaim the space.

Voltage controlled model-surfing is fun: give it a dedicated CV input. Not a special “mode” that takes over the FM input.

Braids is often used as a stand-alone voice: keep the internal VCA, make it a virtual LPG to give it a more natural feel on harmonically rich sounds, give it a dedicated CV input.

Braids is a good stand-alone percussive source: make the internal modulations easy to adjust. The internal envelope is routed to unpatched CV inputs, its amount is thus controllable with the attenuverters.

Quantizing, downsampling, bit reduction: leave that to external modules.

Too many tiny islands of sounds in Braids’ long list of models :sparkles::desert_island:

Instead of 2 parameters for sound control, make it 3. Connect the dots between all models employing similar synthesis techniques, until we get closer to one model = one synthesis technique.

Add a second output for more opportunities of layering, cross-modulating, post-processing.

Embrace the constraint of a finite number of models, and eliminate the outliers.

**Braids’ DSP code is outdated compared to more recent modules :derelict_house:️:spider_web:️ **

Rewrite. 32-bit floats everywhere!

Carefully use band-limited synthesis techniques whenever possible, and take the best from Warps, Elements, Rings.

Braids is just too much in terms of price and size and mA :electric_plug::moneybag:

Use a modern but lean processor with excellent ADCs, a FPU unit, more RAM and flash memory, able to drive a good audio DAC (with DC-coupled outputs). And an efficient power supply.

Optimize the manufacturing and testing. Take the risk of manufacturing in larger batches.

Braids isn’t fun enough :star_struck::control_knobs:

Now that a whole ecosystem of Mutable Instruments modules is available, look for complementarities and synergies. Make oscillators sound richer for Ripples to cut into, noise sources that work well as exciters for Rings, physical models that can double Rings’ or Elements’ tones, and good (CV-controlled!) percussive models that won’t make you regret Peaks.

Focus on knobs and CVs.

And here’s the result:

More info here!

Real talk, though…is there an Easter Egg?

Congratulations on bringing another must have to the floor @pichenettes there’s so much packed in here and it all sounds SO good.

This is one of my first cracks at this type of video too and just scratches the surface but if there’s anything I’ve explained really badly I’m happy to elaborate, just ask.

For more examples and stuff, everything from Skull Friday up the way here features Plaits in some capacity.

Wow nice <3

There is also another new MI module on the left in the yt video. What is it? It uses slider. I think it’s some kind of envelope+vca? Each time the decay starts the slider on the right starts getting green. But it would overlap with Streams. Hmmm

What’s the short/long of the internal envelope?

Thank you for putting everything out there, up front. And congratulations.

At a stab I’d say from tiny blips to around 12ish seconds of decay.

hey everyone, yr Rings is hungry. feed it Plaits.

FYI when it’s linked off the MI site it has the picture for Elements not Plaits…

Fantastic! Recently I’ve found myself using Tides as an oscillator more often than Braids and I think it’s for several of the reasons you’ve identified. I still love my Braids, but I’m excited to add a Plaits to explore much of that sonic terrain in a more modular way. Thank you!

THANK YOU! :bowing_man::bowing_man::bowing_man:

You’re trying to get me back into Eurorack, aren’t you?

You’ve turned a fat and very capable module into a user-interface work of Art. More modulation inputs and de-clutter is exactly what Braids needed. Bravo

Does the FM attentuverter act as a fine tune with nothing patched?

I have a huge respect for what you do and the way you do it.

This module seems like a lot of fun !! Exciting !

There’s also the feature I’ve never come across before where you can hold a button and set the main frequency knob to have +/-7 semitones range on one of 7 octave settings (so capable of fine tuning) or to cover the entire coarse 8 octave range across its travel.

Also makes it really cool for changing octaves.

Does it ignore the CV input for Harmonics when adjusting the octaves? Just curious as to what happens when there’s modulation going on while you’re changing the range on-the-fly…