Muffwiggler group buy of open sourced Mutable PCBs

FYI - There’s a group buy thread on the MuffWiggler DIY for MI PCBs which have been open sourced. I was quite keen to get an Ambika MOBO and voicecards but so far I’m the only other taker and the organizer is looking for 10-board minimum. If anyone else is interested in an Ambika board please check it out and sign up!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133725&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It should be understood by anyone participating in this group buy that there will be no support for the builds via this forum or in any way from MI.

Apologies if posting about this here is inappropriate.

Why don’t you just buy an Ambika motherboard and voice PCBs from André at TubeOhm? See http://www.tubeohm.com/TubeOhm/INTRO_HARDWARE.html The quality of André’s boards is second to none.

Lesser known Shruthi boards also available! Please check it out everyone

With all respect to Andre’s good hard work, his mobo will cost a lot more than this group buy. Plus this appears to be moving forward faster.

I think you should make it clear that people who get some stuff from the muffwiggler run should not expect to rely on the mutable instruments forum for support.

Now that MI has discontinued the Ambika, isn’t this true no matter where one buys the boards?

Yes, although there will be a few unbuilt MI kits/boards still sitting around which should qualify for support.

I guess if you buy a PCB from TubeOhm or Laurentide Synthworks the will happily support you via their Forum or eMail just like Mutable Instruments did so far. Personally I’m not to keen to remote troubleshoot anything over at Muffs……

Edit: and ill happily help anyone who has bought a TU od LS product, if I’m able to.

^ this

Just looked at it… really really tempted… but it’s perhaps a little too much fiddly stuff for my liking, and I think I’d rather put my pennies towards the gorgeous ready-mades over here. (and not have to worry about any BOM changes etc)
That said… I am still very tempted…

Maybe it’s a bit over the top to do a group run of of nearly everything that Olivier has made over the last 5 years?

Not so bad with the kits which are now discontinued.
I’ve a feeling the euro stuff may end up with a lot more sales here anyway as soon as people botch up their builds…

> isn’t this true no matter where one buys the boards?

Yes, but TubeOhm and Laurentide Synthworks know that they will have to provide support, and if possible create their own forum.

I dont understand why they dont just come here? Am I missing something?

Oh this is for out of stock/print PCBs and open sourced euro , I knew I should have bought a 2 pole mission PCB set! :frowning:

I really hope the building and troubleshooting of this will go well.

If there were also carts for the necessary components one could order too, this would be more interesting to me.

> I think you should make it clear that people who get some stuff from the muffwiggler run should not expect to rely on the mutable instruments forum for support.

I’ve edited my post. Thanks, Olivier, and much respect for all your work.

To be clear, I’m not the organizer of the group buy, I’m just a guy who wants really badly to build an Ambikia sometime soon. I wish I had bought a kit back when they were offered here!

shiftr> Maybe it’s a bit over the top to do a group run of of nearly everything that Olivier has made over the last 5 years?

Fwestivus> Not so bad with the kits which are now discontinued. I’ve a feeling the euro stuff may end up with a lot more sales here anyway as soon as people botch up their builds…

I agree that group runs of the discontinued DIY products are fine, although it is probably a false economy when it is possible to purchase PCBs or full kits from TubeOhm or Laurentide Synthworks which come with a degree of build support via email or a forum.

As for group buys of MI eurorack PCBs organised by someone on Muffwigglers, I fear that enthusiasm for saving some money has gotten well ahead of the reality of how difficult these modules, which are designed for pick-and-place robotic assembly and flow soldering, are to build by hand. I predict plentiful tears before bedtime, and recriminations against the organiser as the difficulty of the DIY build task becomes apparent, although some will no doubt succeed. Another person who has built some MI modules by hand predicts a bloodbath, while a third MI module DIYer is buying popcorn. The best quote in the MW thread has to be, referring to a DIY build of Clouds:

I’ve never done any SMT soldering but I don’t anticipate any problems.

The apparent cost savings will also quickly evapourate. To build any of the MI modules by hand, beyond normal DIY synth building tools, you need at least: a set of fine tips for it (needle tip and sub-millimetre spade and concave tips) for your temp-controlled static safe soldering iron, a set of static-safe tweezers, a spool of < 0.5mm no-clean solder (0.7mm solder with resin flux is a disaster), a desk magnifier or head magnifier, a flux pen, and a syringe of no-clean flux gel (for drag soldering), a faceplate or panel for the module, and an FTDI or JTAG interface thingy to flash the firmware. And lots and lots of painstaking care and many hours.

Anyway, I am curious to see how these MW build attempts go.

>I’ve never done any SMT soldering but I don’t anticipate any problems.

I was afraid of that. :confused:

If they have the right tools and take their time, this should end well. This is almost like the first public test of MI DIY. So the results will be very interesting to watch.

Erk, yeah 0603 and expensiveish QFP processors aren’t the right place to start with SMT. Definitely need to tool up beforehand!

Maybe if you wanted to get one of those temperature-controlled ovens…