More Grains for Clouds

Clouds code rewrite …it keeps getting more interesting around here all the time :slight_smile:

Very cool. I cant wait.

https://soundcloud.com/mutable-instruments/clouds-moar-grains

It sounds like Shepard’s tones. I wonder what it would sound like to modulate a parameter with this output? I would not be surprised to hear this become the go-to tool of future horror composers.

in the clip above, the input is a plain sawtooth oscillator.

So the sawtooth had no pitch or amp envelope on it? It was just a recording of a solid sawwave that made all of that? It sounded like a S&H sequence was sampled grained by Clouds.

On another note, how should we describe audio that is “modified” by Clouds? I know that sampling is a term you would like to avoid.

“Granulated”?

>“Granulated”?

That sounds almost too obvious. :wink:

> So the sawtooth had no pitch or amp envelope on it? It was just a recording of a solid sawwave that made all of that? It sounded like a S&H sequence was sampled grained by Clouds.

The S&H / swarm effect is done by using noise on the V/Oct input of Clouds. This input is sampled whenever a grain needs to be generated.

The envelopes we can hear are the envelopes of the grains. When it sounds like a S&H melody, the grain density is low (so we can hear individual grains spaced by silence), and the sharpness or smoothness of the envelope is controlled by the texture parameter.