I’m looking to see how Eurorack can expand the capabilities of a setup consisting of Ableton Live, Ableton Push 2, and Nord Stage 3. I would like to use Ableton Live for sequencing, arranging, recording, and mixing, but other than that I would like to work with physical devices and controls (rather than VSTs).
I’m particularly interested in Mutable Instruments’ modules, but I don’t yet know how the modules can fit into my use case.
Here are some of my spontanous goals and interests:
- Making ambient pads with rich textures (perhaps with something like Mutable Instruments Clouds and 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator)
- Working with recorded samples (perhaps with something like Mutable Instruments Ears and Make Noise Morphagene)
- Making FM/Autechre-like sounds in a hands-on way (perhaps with something like Mutable Instruments Plaits or Akamie's Castle)
My audio interface is a RME Fireface UCX. Since it has ADAT, I’m thinking that Expert Sleepers ES-3 might be a good way of controlling, sequencing, and feeding audio into the rack, through Ableton Live and CV Tools.
Here is a ModularGrid sketch:
Some random questions:
- Would I need some other modules to appropriately control Akemie's Castle (or a module like Mutable Instruments Plaits)?
- To what extent does Plaits' FM capability overlap with Akemie's Castle?
- Would it make sense to add 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator to this setup?
- How soon will I need something like Espert Sleepers ES-5 in order to expand the ports on Expert Sleepers ES-3?
- What would be an appropriate substitute for Mutable Instrument Clouds (or should I try to find one second hand)?
- Is Veils a good choice for a mixer for this setup?
- What possibilities would modules like Verbos Electronics Harmonic Oscillator and Mutable Instrument Stages open up in this setup?
- Would the sound sources work well by themselves, or would it make sense to add modules like Mutable Instruments Stages?
I’m also thinking generally about to what extent, and how specifically, Nord Stage 3 can be used in combination with a Eurorack setup like this one (right now, I’m thinking about how I can use it as a sound source, and I also thinking about using it as a controller with its splits and general MIDI functionality).
Any thoughts about what modules that could work well in my setup, or just general advice, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!