Modemachines SID Groovebox

yeah it sounds nice, especially for basses and weird sounds… but it’s nice to imagine what it could have been, you know, in an alternate reality :slight_smile:

The SammichSid needs a Shruthi-1 user interface… I love how it sounds but everytim i want to use i have to really think how it works…

@shiftr I’ve not got further than flipping through the presets, to be honest. Have you tried the Ctrlr editor TK made for it? I keep meaning to, but haven’t got around to it.

a|x

>Wow, well, he had a long way to go, given he only got as far as 3 (or 1 3-osc voice, depending how >you view the single filter).

Read the book “Commodore, a company on the edge”, you will be amazed they managed to produce the things they did given how they were treated by Jack Tramiel. They also worked very hard, at times 36 hours straight, sleeping in the office. Tramiel promised bonuses and all sorts of rewards but never gave them out.

Bob Yannes wanted a common oscillator design with 32 voices. I imagine it must be some trick like on the Poly Moog (divide down?). Given he was designing a sound chip for a home computer I think he did quite well. He never got anywhere near enough time to do what he wanted, so in the end had to duplicate the oscillator three times on the chip, which is why they take so much room on the die.

@shiftr: yeah really! The interface plain sucks at best… there’s a lot of power in there, expecially in the mod matrix, but you have to do most of the editing with one encoder, which makes editing a pain in the ass. The CTRLR editor makes it easier, but CTRLR is still a bit buggy…
The best thing would be to build a full control interface for the sammich (by adding the relative MIDIbox modules)… but then you have to dive into MIDIbox hacking territory :smiley:

@6581punk: you know quite a lot about composers and instrument designers! Yeah I heard the story about the SID people getting used by Commodore. I think you can still hear that it was built by people who really had it in themselves! I mean which computer sound chip from the 80 gives you an analogue filter, 3 oscillators, different waveforms and all the rest the SID has to offer?

>>@6581punk: you know quite a lot about composers and instrument designers!

More about the C64 than anything. It was my first computer and I have too much time to reminisce and find out more about it, given how I have a healthy scepticism of most modern things :slight_smile:

@rumpelfilter: If you make a full control surface for the Sammich SID you have a functional copy of the big bad MB-6582 with a pair of SIDs. But, then you might as well get the real deal and just start building it. You can then add 6 more SID chips for the full ensemble experience :smiley:

yes :slight_smile: and in this case there’s full assembly instructions available too. step by step.

yeah I know. Belive me I have considered this a thousand times! But well… hmm… for now I’ll stick with my basic Sammich. :slight_smile:

@6581punk: I thought the 6581 in the nickname was just random numbers :smiley: Anyway I prefer the 8580 hihi :slight_smile:
Actually I never had a C64, I didn’t have a computer at all, I had to go to a friend’s place, whos father had a computer store and he had them all: the Amiga, the c64 and even some old things like the ZX Spectrum.
Anyway I agree with you sceptiscism for modern things and I know what I’m talking about because I use them a lot. I have been working as a PC service man, going into offices and repairing broken computers for some time… that’s when I started to hate modern computers.

I have a SIDStation which is 6581 based, a MB6582 with 4 8580 SIDs and a SammichSID with 2 x 8580s. The 6581 is a noisy brute but some prefer its distortion.

I have a collection of a few old computers, Atari 800, Sinclair QL, Texas Instruments TI 99/4a, Spectrum, C128, a few Amigas and about 5 C64s.

I’d love to come by for a visit… hmm, a bit too far for now.

Oh wow. A TI 99/4a owned by a friend was the first computer I did anything musical with. I was about 10 years old and said musical endeavour consisted of a succession of Basic PLAY (?) statements with no control flow whatsoever :wink: A different friend had a C64, and it was in fact he who now turned me onto the Shruthi.

Our local public library had this wonderfully in-depth book on making music with the C64; I recall reading it but not having access to one at the time to try anything out. The Beatles song “When I’m 64”, and (if memory serves) one of the pieces from “Pictures at an exhibition” featured heavily in it.

Hmm, come to think of it, the TI 99/4a guy’s dad ended up in jail for running an investment scam and robbing little old ladies, so I evidently cut my teeth on the wages of sin.

i couldn’t get the ctrlr editor working properly, and gave up on my sammichSID.

IMO, a really good and easy to build editor solution is the renoise tool guru. someone has even built a shruthi editor in it. it’s also rock solid.

http://www.renoise.com/tools/guru

The poor TI 99/4a was a victim of Jack Tramiel’s “business is war” mantra. He dropped the price of the Vic 20 so much that TI exited the home computer market, they were already making a loss on each one to try to compete. It was revenge for the calculator wars where Commodore and Ti had gone head to head previously.