Misunderstandings with Clouds calibration

Hello. I’ve decided to calibrate Clouds after reinstalling the original firmware. But that is the total mess. I used a Keystep. Tried several times, reinstalling the firmware again and again, but each time, the process is different : Holding Save button while powering on, or not / Pushing Blend button at the same time, or after… Sometimes i have the 2 yellow leds on, sometimes not. Sometimes one mode is working, but not the other ones. Once i’ve heard some Pitch process, but now it disappeared… Well, that thing has become out of control !.. Furthermore, i also made a false handling while sending firmware file, once, playing another audio file than firmware. I hope that it can’t break the internal module.

Is it a DIY unit?

You won’t break the module, but why are you reinstalling the firmware over and over?

It’s a factory unit. Originally, it was working very well. But since the calibration, it goes badly.
Reinstalling the firmware, because all my tests to calibrate it are unsuccessful. So, i become very upset and multiply incorrect handling. At the end, the module sounds very weird, and i reinstall the firmware to start again from zero…
Not sure of my master keyboard. They say : 1 Volt/octave (0-10V) / 0 volt MIDI note range : C-2 to G8…
So, maybe i have to tune the Clouds not from C2 to C4, but from C3 to C5 ?
As you see, i’m a very shabby modularist.

> and i reinstall the firmware to start again from zero…

No no no no… Reinstalling the firmware doesn’t reset anything.

The calibration data is erased only when you go from an alternative firmware to the original firmware. If you install the original firmware twice you won’t change anything at all to the state of the module.

> So, maybe i have to tune the Clouds not from C2 to C4, but from C3 to C5 ?

If you have a VCO, it’s easy to find the right notes:
1/ Listen to your VCO with a patch cable inserted in its CV input, and the other end not patched to anything.
2/ Then patch your keyboard’s CV output to the VCO CV input.
3/ Find the note on your keyboard that transposes your VCO 1 octave up from the tone it was playing at step 1/
4/ Find the note on your keyboard that transposes your VCO 3 octaves up from the tone it was playing at step 1/
5/ Use the two notes from steps 3 and 4 to calibrate Clouds.

I’d thoroughly recommend spending €5 or so on a cheap multimeter and actually measuring voltages before guessing what voltages are coming out of what gear. It’s a tiny investment and super handy for troubleshooting/learning what your modules/kit is doing/having around to check continuity etc.

Arturia stuff also lets you change the root note/voltage of their kit (BSP and MicroBrute certainly) to a degree in the software so in addition to there not actually being a set standard of v/oct to certain ‘notes’ across different manufacturers, there is also the software variance/setting to potentially take into account.

Just measure the V, it’ll solve your headaches in no time for very little cost.

The multimeter thing is interesting! I have one just for checking battery life! But how do I use it when I want to callibrate? In which setting?

DC Voltage.

You can connect a patch cable to your CV source (keyboard, sequencer). One probe on the sleeve (side) of the jack, the other probe on the tip. Then you find the two notes/keys that correspond to 1V and 3V respectively.

Cool thank you very much!
Actually now it is very easy!

I recently had someone tell me that my Clouds needed to be calibrated after a year owned. Is there any way to test the calibration?

Time alone shouldn’t mess up the tracking. Especially not a year! Can you hear anything wrong?