MidiPal voltage in to pitch bend data out use case

How difficult would it be to programmatically take an incoming voltage (through one of the 8 pads), and output pitch bend data. What are the pitfalls is issues; resolution?

Many low cost controllers only do 7-bit midi anyway. Would it be feasible and trivial to code an app for MidiPal to do this?

I’m no expert but based on my reading the spec, there is no up/down, rather it’s 0 (down all the way) with a center at 0x2000 and 3fff bend fully up. Is averaging/steadying best down in the analog realm, or digitally?

Thanks.

You first need to buffer the incoming voltage properly - CVs range from 10 10V , the MIDIpal can just take 0-3,3V and thereafter will be destroyed.
If you just want a Pot that can be driven by the MidiPals onboard PSU you can just connect it to the Input Pads.

the MidiPal has 8 free inputs to add pots that sent midi CC … can these be re-configured to send midi pitch bend. Is this what you meant?
Sounds do-able …

The voltage for the MidiPal has be below 3.3V … i see, someone was fast and edited the post :wink:

I have it wired up using the onboard 3.3V today and the CC app works well.

What I’m looking to do is take attenuated voltage from a synth.com pitch bend wheel and have it converted to Midi pitch bend. I’ve got a fair sized MOS-LAB modular and all is well there but I just picked up a synth.com 5 octave controller which will arrive this week. It’s really just a Fatar keybed (high quality) with a contraller onboard that converts key switching and timing for the velocity on/off note and channel pressure information to Midi out. Then of course I use my existing Midi-CV to speak to my modular.

The problem comes in with the new synth.com Pitch bend ‘module’ is purely analog voltage. Fine for the modular but if I want to play my Blowfeld with it or a soft synth, I’ll lose the ability to pitch bend so need a way to convert from voltage to Midi data. A MOD wheel output can already be achieved via the CC app. There are modules that do this from Moon and others but I don’t have the MU space and prefer a DIY approach using some part of what I already have.

I suppose that part of the problem is that 3.3V split in half is 1.67V so I lose more resolution there (values of 0…63 will be generated via the CC app assuming I attenuate the normal 0…5V to 0…3.3v (anything higher will create smoke!)

I suppose I’m asking if there is a way to have a CC type of app that sends data in pitch bend format. I’m an old school C and assembly language programmer from 1980’s; haven’t touched any of Arduino/ATMega/PIC and while it would be fun to learn, I’ve got my hands full.

I’m sure the person that wrote the CC app could copy the code and do this in about 15 minutes. I guess that’s what I’m asking. Measured voltage would need to be quantized such that 0…1.67V in as high a resolution as possible to result in an even scale between 0x0000 and 0x2000.

Maybe it’s time to learn!

Thank you

Once you have the toolchain installed, it’s really 3 lines of code (assuming you just implement something like: “if CC is configured to 127, send a pitch-bend message” instead of a CC).

I won’t do it for free though, because otherwise my days would be spent doing 3 lines of code adjustments to thousands of people.