Midipal step sequencer features

Is it possible to sequence portamento with the step sequencer? As in making
a step’s note duration longer than one step? I have read the manual and it seems
it is possible, but I’m looking for verification from someone that has a kit already.

Any info is greatly appreciated

Pete

All steps have equal duration, you can only edit the gate (note duration) length.

Portamento (pitch of a note progressively gliding in place of the previous one) is not really a part of the MIDI standard ; there’s a CC for that (that most synths seem to ignore), you can try sequencing it (the MIDIpal step sequencer has 1 CC track).

A lot of synths (including the Shruthi-1) have a ‘portamento mono’ mode where overlapping notes trigger a note slide. Is it possible to set a note in the MIDIPal sequencer to overlap the next one?

a|x

Yes, precisely with the “gate” setting, which is the duration of the note played at a step. You can set it to a value longer than one sixteenth note (duration of a step by default) and the next note will overlap it.

So, pehrlich, if your synth supports portamento mono mode, you’re in business :slight_smile:

a|x

Ah, thanks I guess I was kind of describing my question wrong. I kinda forgot about real portamento in the midi spec.
You can access the slide on my 303 with the overlapping notes.
This is getting more exciting as the days go by!
Thanks for the comments…sounds like I’m in good shape…can’t wait

I guess it’s legato mono I was really asking about.

Pete

Legato… that was the word I was looking for…

a|x

Yeah, I went back and looked at my Novation Bass Station manual for the
correct terminology.

This is going to be crazy…I think I’m going to let go of my stock 303
after I get my Midipal

Pete

I’ve found any ‘bass synth’ types boxes (including the Bass Station) lack one of the key features of the 303, namely the Accent option. You can’t get that twang without it.

a|x

on mine you can use velocity to trigger an accent. so Midipal has me covered there…I just
wasn’t sure if you could make the duration longer than a step in my original question.
Now I’m going to be able to jam the 303 like a JX3P!
much easier for me…since I don’t use a lot of filter modulation and with my stock 303
I wind up using just a few patterns and transposing using the pitch button

but yeah, bass station sounds awful…I use mine as cv/gate only…no audio

Pete

I apologize for pulling this slightly off topic. I tried to bring it back at the end there.
more coffee is needed :slight_smile:

Filterkaffe with Aromaporen?

My bad :wink:

a|x