MIDIPAL Sequence shortened after switching off

Hello,
I have bought a midipal recently (maybe one the last!), and when I switch it off, the sequence is shortened to 8 step or something like that (even if I have a long sequence before switching off).
Is is normal ?
Is there a firmware update that fix this ?

PS : sorry for my bad english.

Yes!

There are plenty of undocumented goodies here, mostly the ability of controlling things with CC and note clocking.

Summary:

• New “polyphony” setting in the dispatcher app. For example, if you want to distribute 8 voices of polyphony to two 4-voice synths, set num to 8 and pol to 4. Instead of having the notes of your chords routed to channels 1 to 8 ; you’ll have notes dispatched to channels 1 and 2.
  • New “as played” and “chord” modes in the arpeggiator. The “chord” mode repeats rhythmically whichever keys are pressed.
  • A new app called “settings” allows some global system settings to be defined, such as 0xFE message handling (let them go or filter them), app selection menu encoder hold time, and more goodies (see below).
  • The MIDIpal can now be edited using CC messages. CC #80 changes the first parameter, CC# 81 the second parameter and so on. The whole CC range (0 to 127) is mapped to the range of each parameter. The “remote control” channel is defined in the settings app (setting called “ccc” for “cc channel”), and can be of course disabled - when the channel is set to 0.
  • The length of the arpeggiator rhythmic pattern can be altered - this allows many new crazy irregular rhythms!
  • The CC LFO app can now send pitch bend messages. Wowowowow. To do so, select CC# 127 - a modulated pitch-bend message will be sent instead of a CC# 127.
  • The clock divider app now has a built-in clock delay function. For example, when the delay is set to 6; the transmission of the START message and of the subsequent clock ticks is delayed by 6 clock ticks. This can be used to create interesting time-shifting effects between two drum machines or sequencers.
  • The MIDIpal can now be clocked by using note messages on a user-selectable channel. See details below. Go to the settings app and select a MIDI channel (setting called “clc” for “clock channel”) and a note (setting called “cln”). Whenever the MIDIpal receives this note on this channel, it’ll step the clock. You can select the clock resolution (“div”): by how many ticks the note will move the clock forward. Then go back to the application you want to control with note messages (sequencer, arpeggiator…), and select the “not” clock source.

This feature allows the flow of the arpeggiator/sequencer to be controlled by another sequencer or drum machine (in the spirit of this).

brilliant nice update :slight_smile:

Oh great !
Thank you !

What is the “len” parameter on the arpeggiator ap ?

And I don’t really understand what is the "New “as played” and “chord” modes in the arpeggiator. The “chord” mode repeats rhythmically whichever keys are pressed."
And I can’t find it on my midipal…

> What is the “len” parameter on the arpeggiator ap ?

It changes the size of the rhythmic pattern. You can use to create irregular rhythmic patterns.

> And I don’t really understand what is the “New “as played” and “chord” modes in the arpeggiator

as played repeats the note in the order in which they were played when you play the chord. For example, if you play a C chord by pressing C-G-E (in that order), the arpeggiator will repeat C-G-E-C-G-E. By rapidly arpeggiating and holding the notes of the chord as you play it, you can control the arpeggio order.

Chord simply plays all the notes of the chord together, at a rhythm defined by the arpeggio rhythmic pattern.

These new features are new in v1.4. Have you upgraded to this version?

Yep, I just updated to this version, but i can’t find “as played” and “chords” in the arpeggio ap.

Oups, I just find it !
Sorry for the flood…
And thanks for the very quick answer !

Do you have an explanation about the way “lenght” parameter and “pattern” parameter interacts with each other.
I can’t notice the difference when I tweak the “ptn” with a fix “len” value.
Do I have to use a specific “len” value with some “ptn” or something like that to hear the changes ?

For example, I use “len” = 1 with “ptn” = 1 (oct = 2; u&d; lat = on; div=16, dur=16).
It’s classic straight 16’s arp.
And when I tweak the “ptn”, nothing happens.

The preset patterns have a duration of 16 steps. So let’s consider the following pattern:

O*OO*O*O

(O are steps in which a note is played, * are silent steps).

With the default length setting (16), it’ll loop after the 16th step:

O*OO*O*OOOO*O*OOOO*O*O

If you set the length to 12 steps, it’ll repeat after the 12th step:

O*OO*O*OOO*O*OOO*O*OOO*O

If you set the length to 3 steps, you’ll get this:

O*OOOOOOO*

And a length of 1:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When length is a small number like 2 or 3, it’s normal that all patterns will be very similar since it’ll repeat the first 2 or 3 steps and there aren’t many possibilities for these!

Oh ok !
Thanks again for the help !
It makes actually sense !