MidiGAL -- yet another MIDIpal inspired project

Quick MidiClk results with my newly bought MidiGal from t2K :
A disapointing <1.56% 120bpm with Sonic Potions LXR An impressive <0.101%120bpm with Korg microSAMPLER
FL Studio 11/2 and Live 9 with Windows 8 and M-Audio Fast Track Ultra gives an unstable 120.1 to 120.5bpm…

@dubtoms: go into your ASIO drivers and turn latency compensation in/out to 0 samples. That should tighten up your MIDI response from Windows.

Thanks for the tip ! I’ll look into that.

here’s my mashup midiGAL/MidiTHRU

@altitude – interesting! how is MidiThru connected internally?

Dead sexy

have not decide yet. I put a DPDT switch on the back and figured I would have the gal out switchable internally to the thru in or back to stock

thats awesome! I used to have a setup where I ran

quad merge >midipal> mid quad thru that was awesome. Would be nice to have it all contain in one box!

Will the midigal firmware work on A minibud? I mean this thing : http://midisizer.com/other/midibud/

yes, MidiBUD’s rightmost switch will be acting as MidiGAL’s only switch.

Hey there.

Just had a chance to test my old music computer, eventually.
I thought Cubase 2.83 or 3.05 were tight on this tweaked pre-y2k non-ACPI 1000MHz Windows 98SE machine, using good old Winman 4x4/S ISA card on IRQ 10 : got a disappointing ~2%@120BPM, with both Cubase 16bit, with nothing else on the midi chain except for a Phil Rees Little2M merger. Doh!

Interestingly, just like the experience I’ve had with the electribe2, the MidiGAL sometimes reports an encouraging 0.1%@100BPM, but it must have to do with the way the MIDI clock is generated by Steinberg’s MROS engine.

Even more interesting, the MIDI timing seems affected by the PS/2 mouse port, since moving the mouse degrades the timing by an amount of ~0.2%

On a sidenote, these tests were done using the lowest system granularity in Cubase synchronization dialog box, aka MROS timer according to this document :
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=1294.0
Setting goes from 1 to 4 (ms), and jitter is up to 6% when on 4.
On the other hand, the PPQN setting (384, 192 or 96) has not effect on jitter whatsoever.

This happens the very same week I’ve discovered Photek was using Cubase on Windows 3.1 for his mid-90s DnB masterpieces back then. With a Ferrari allegedly.

All that matters is the music, ain’t it?

On the other end, the infamously sloppy Cubase VST 5.1 reports a +4% jitter on the very same machine, which was rather expected.

FWIW, there’s also a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card, which MIDI port yields same results timing wise.

And to be complete, there’s little difference with another 98SE 600MHz laptop running the same software with a serial emagic AMT-8, IIRC.

~2% jitter it is with this system. Oh well, I can live with that. ^^

Cheers all.

Edit : just checked Cakewalk 4.0E for DOS on the same machine, with DOS 6.22 and a Winman 2x2 ISA MIDI board. It’s even worse, with up to 5% jitter. I’d be curious to try this with a real 486 ISA only board, just to be sure it’s not the i440BX PCI-to-ISA bridge that messes things up.

awsumm thread…
I was wondering if MIDIgal (or any midipal descendants) can be made with two MIDI output jacks and, most importantly, that MIDI notes alternate between the two output jacks.
Why the heck do I want to do something weirdo like that?
The 80’s synths that I use most (DX and Alpha Juno) have a sysex channel bit which prevent simultaneously controlling and sending alternating notes to two identical synths on different channels. This rules out using a midipal because the midipal forwards the notes to the correct MIDI channels but since they are on different channels the sysex messages to one of the synths don’t match and are ignored.

nice midi thru box, it work for midirex also ? bie

Altitude, I think I got a MidiGAL case from you last year (I say think since last year was very long time ago in my head). Did you supply the knob with it? If so, do you know the part number? It seems a good fit for my SEQv4.

And here’s MFB’s Tanzmaus doing its thing with <0.5% jitter. Clock accuracy can’t be tested on this device because it has no display to confirm its setting. 120.4 BPM was as close as I could get to 120 with the “Tempo” pot.

By the way, here’s a summary of all the clock jitter results reported so far at 120BPM in “max mode”:

Yamaha RM1X: 0.1%
Yamaha QY70: 0.1%
Korg microSAMPLER: 0.1%
Moog Sub 37: 0.2%
OctaMED Pro 5.00c, Amiga 1200: 0.3% (-0.1 BPM)
Ableton Live, OS X, ESI MIDIMATE II: 0.4%
MFB Tanzmaus: 0.5%
Ableton Live, OS X, Behringer UMC204: 0.5%
Modstep, 2012 Retina iPad (3rd generation, A5X), ESI MIDIMATE II: 0.8%
Elektron Analog RYTM: 1.4%
Elektron Analog Four: 1.4%
Sonic Potions LXR: 1.6%
Korg Electribe2: 1.8%
Bars & Pipes Professional, Amiga 1200: 2.5% (-1.1 BPM)
MPC 1000, Original Akai OS V2.13: 3%
MPC 1000, JJOS3 V1.29: 3.1%
MPC 1000, JJOS2XL V3.47: 3.2%
Teenage Engineering OP-1, Kenton MIDI USB Host MkII: 3.3%
MPC 1000, JJOS1 V4.99L: 4.1%
Music-X 1.1, Amiga 1200: 9% (+0.8 BPM)

This makes me think that the high clock jitter is the reason MPC beats sound so organic.

MIDI clock ouput jitter doesn’t mean the internal clock is jittery.

No, would be interesting to compare that too.

And here is Modstep running on a 2012 Retina iPad (3rd generation, A5X). It started out at <0.4%, but over time drifted up to the <0.8% you see in this photo.