MidiALF!

@matrix12x : Sounds like the fuses programming problem to me.

@matrix

I havent posted it yet, I have to make a couple changes (bigger cutout for LCD) and I havent had time to work on it

Nice knobs Pete. I bought some similar ones I might use on the Ambika.

When I flashed I used this for the fuses:
avrdude -B 100 -V -p m644p -c usbtiny -P usb -e -U lock:w:0x2F:m -e -u -U efuse:w:0xfd:m \\ -U hfuse:w:0xd6:m \\ -U lfuse:w:0xff:m \\ -U lock:w:0x2f:m

edit: I think I found my problem, I just redid the fuses as:
avrdude -B 100 -V -p m644p -c usbtiny -F -P usb -e -u -U efuse:w:0xfd:m -U hfuse:w:0xd6:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U lock:w:0x2f:m

then I re-flashed the firmware and it works 100% better
now off to do some sequencing.

@kvitekp … I’m looking for the eagle part of the 3.5 mm jacks you used for the CV board. Did you make them yourself? Would you mind sharing them?

shiftr -- yeah, I had to do those 3.5mm parts myself. You can use exp-project-lbr.ulp to export all parts from any schematics then import the ones you need into your library using copy partexported.lbr command. If you’re using Eagle 6.5 you can try File/Export/Libraries command, then look for PK_SWITCHCRAFT_MONOV35 and SWITCHCRAFT35_STEREO_35RAPC2BV4 in kvitekp.lbr

Thanks! Only i can’t seem to find the eagle files of the midialf CV board or your kvitekp.lbr.

Fixed, thank you! Eagle files are available here .

Great! … in the meantime i also found your jackomix eagles on muffs that has them too… … I should learn to make the part myself too. But this is maybe a bit complicated part to start with.

I use the jack-o-mix quite a bit. Good stuff.

@shiftr – making new parts in Eagle is not that difficult and is certainly useful. Typically you spend less time creating a part yourself than searching the net for one and verifying it.

@sammy123 – did it ever occur to you that with a few jumper wires Jack-o-mix boards can also work as multiples? I just built a couple to distribute Gate and Trig signals to 2 x ADSRs.

I did actually, but I have a million multiples so I never modified them.

Anyone succeed to compile the source of the midiALF on mac? I got errors with the makefile that looks like to be for Windows only.

I did but it’s a long time ago… You may need to edit the makefile to point it to the right files.

@FLOz: just change AVRLIB_TOOLS path specification at the beginning of avrlib/makefile.mk

Windows:
AVRLIB_TOOLS_PATH ?= /WinAVR/bin/

Mac:
AVRLIB_TOOLS_PATH ?= /usr/local/CrossPack-AVR/bin/

I’m using WinAVR-20100110 here.

@kvitekp - I thought this had been discussed somewhere before but I can’t find it - would it be possible to implement the randomize feature as a top-level page, where you could set the scale globally (responsive to change by incoming midi note) and then set the randomize amount (0-127) for each step? OR just set both globally on the command page, where both the scale and the randomize amount are applied to the entire running sequence? Initially I thought this might be possible in MidiPAL firmware via a user-prg, but it doesn’t appear so. I think it would be very musical to have e.g. a 10% chance to randomize notes within a scale during a running sequence, either by specifying per step or over the whole sequence.

Come to think of it, it might be fun to be able to apply randomness to other events - velocity, gate, cc… Wondering if this would be possible in command page- have a “randomness” page that allows you to activate randomness with on/off for each aspect, and set an “amnt” value for how often events are randomized, and maybe a “max-change” value (e.g. a randomized note can only be within 1 octave of the original note; max velocity randomness within 40% of the original value). Just thinkin out loud :slight_smile:

Also, I may have found a bug in the updated ‘rotate-all’ feature (an overdue thanks for the update BTW!) - when running any sequence that does NOT include SeqA (i.e. a 1x8 sequence on B, C,or D; or a 1x16 on C+D), Rotate doesn’t appear to work: a button-press to set the first note results in no action. It does work on a 1x8 on SeqA, a 1x16 on A+B, and 1x32.

Global scale and step randomize features are planned for one of the future firmware updates.

I’ll check the rotation implementation, thank you for reporting.