Midi velocity from Yarns to Rings

I was programming a midi melody in Ableton for a patch involving Rings (using its own percussive exciter) and noticed the following.

I’m using Yarns’ velocity output to modulate both brightness (positive) and damping (negative) in Rings, so that notes played softer sound a little less bright but ring out a little longer to compensate.

Seeing the programmed notes and their velocities in front of me as I listened to the result made me realize that each note seems to take its velocity from the previous note. Notes that I gave a very low velocity to de-emphasize them didn’t really sound any duller the way I intended, but the one coming after them did.

After noticing this I experienced the same thing playing the patch live with my Keystep.

Is it a timing issue? Does the velocity CV arrive slightly later than the Gate / Pitch CV, so that it doesn’t yet apply to the note currently being struck?

Interestingly, a note played softly after a note played with more force does sound different from the one before, even though the intended effect of sounding darker doesn’t really come in until the next note. In other words, if I play three notes with high, low, and high velocity, respectively, they will sound bright, bright and dark, but the second bright one (played softly) does sound different from the first. So it seems like the current note is affected, but perhaps – due to the slight delay I speculated about above – only the resonator and not the initial exciter?

Hope I’m not making this too complicated. In any case, I don’t see it as a problem, it makes the instrument even more alive. :slight_smile: Just thought it was interesting…

It’s not a delay on Yarns’ outputs; but probably the fact that Rings’ CV inputs have some (important) filtering applied to them, so the brightness won’t rise instantly when you go from low to high velocity. By the 1 or 2 ms or so it takes for the CV input to react and brightness to rise, the high frequency energy has dissipated already.

Yes, that sounds very much like it.

So the early attack still has some of the previous note’s brightness setting, after which the “new” brightness comes in… which explains why all three notes middle in my example have a different character, even though there are only two different velocity values involved (hard–soft–hard). That’s three sounds for the price of two. :slight_smile:

(And if, for example, I would play hard–soft–hard–hard–soft–soft, I think all the notes would sound different… just with a simple binary modulation of that one midi parameter. Cool!)

+1 for Rings 2 with STM32F373!

With only 0.42x the computing power of the original CPU, we won’t go very far :confused:

:cry:

Are the 16 bit ADCs on some of the H7s any better? Somewhere between the notorious F4 ADCs and the F373’s?