Midi note "hold"

I was just using the Shruthi-1 with an arturia beatstep and tried to sequence some arpeggios, but it seems even at the longest release rate the arpeggios will not be triggered long enough. As far as i’ve browsed, there is no “midi note hold” / “delay” setting in the shruthi-1 - wouldn’t it be convenient to have such a feature either for triggering 1-note arpeggios or even x-note arpeggios where the notes come in step by step? length adjustable to clock divider or custom value. but - maybe i should consider upgrading my sequencer :wink:

Your arp’s ADSR envelope should be attack = 0, decay = how long you want your ARP to be, sustain = 0, release = 0 or a value less than decay.

If you have a fast decay and no sustain, the release portion of your ARP will be very quiet.

I have not had this issue with my Beatstep or Shruthi, so I do suspect improper ADSR envelope programming.

as far as i understand the both envelopes, env2 is assigned to the amplitude by standard, env is freely useable. when i increase release on env2 the arpeggio length does not change, only the volume release of the sound fades out slower. probably it could be solved with operators and assignments?

You can try changing the tempo on the Shruthi.
When you say “arp release” what do you mean? The only release parameter I know of is the volume / modulation envelope release.

This is not how it works.

Release is a parameter related to sound production; it does not fake a note held for a longer stretch of time. From the point of view of the arpeggiator, when you release the last key, it’s over, the arpeggiator stops.

You could use the sequencer setting on the shruthi to achieve the same kind of thing. With the beatstep transposing the arpeggios.
The problem you have is more with the beatstep than the shruthi.

I think it’s more a difference in the perception of where the arpeggiator should “live” in a synth.

In the world of chiptunes and soundtrackers, the arpeggiator is part of the synth engine - it’s just a fancy modulation source that periodically creates a cyclic pitch modulation - like a staircase LFO synced to the tempo (or not).

But in most synths (including the Shruthi), you have to think of the arpeggiator as a MIDI effect - it intercepts the stream of notes sent to the synth engine, do things with it, and replaces it with a new stream of notes. This can be seen in the codebase of all my products. There’s a NoteOn method that handles MIDI note messages, and generates one or more “InternalNoteOn” messages that the synth engine reacts to.

Yes,… But i still think it is probably possible to achieve something very similar to this with the shruthi like it is now with some smart workarround. I believe i programmed something like this once. I have to dive into it again.
But doing it with a monophonic sequencer like the beatstep will be very difficult.

i was just looking for some variation possibilities; arpeggios also create some simple variations from only monophonic notes. but maybe i can create some arpeggios in chiptracker style in the sequencer and transpose it with the keypresses; but also in seq mode it seems only to play as long as i hold the note? i must try some things with it in the evening.

For variation on a “plucked” arp, you can route an LFO to the Env2 decay parameter via the mod matrix.

ok i found out about the latch mode (without manual i wouldnt have found this). this seems to do what i want, but i lose the “release” lateron when the arp runs longer; possibly this could be fixed with operators/vca/mix/env. what i don’t understand about the latch mode - sometimes it is gone as soon as i switch a parameter, sometimes it stays on forever, no matter what i do (unless i push the encoder for a longer time once more). it would be a nice option if latch was saveable inside a patch, so i can switch to “endless arpeggio” mode on the fly. (also still dreaming of an additive monophonic arpeggio with midi clock…) i fully blame the commodore 64 for my synth application odnesses… possibly there is some midi gizmo out there that could solve these things.