Microdsp modular project

This discussion was created from comments split from: A little heads up - what’s next at Mutable Instruments.

I figured out a smarter way.

Preprogrammed DSP chips with different synth modules and DIY people can solder them together any way they like. You can even breadboard the synth.

Analog CV inputs as well as MIDI-CC

Easy, anyone can build their synth as they want it.

pichenettes > I know its your forum so sorry.

But the idea is to break the dsp synth apart.
Give one dsp for every module.
Let the creative minded DIYer solder them together.

The signals, analog and digital, are directly interconnectable.

janost> But the idea is to break the dsp synth apart. Give one dsp for every module. Let the creative minded DIYer solder them together. The signals, analog and digital, are directly interconnectable.

Interoperable modules, eh? Hmmm, great idea, but rather than solder them together, why not allow the creative minded DIYer to connect them with patch cords, maybe using 3.5mm jacks? And house the modules in a rack, maybe 3RU high. And…never mind.

You stole my words!

Not to mention that it’s no longer limited to “creative minded DIYers”, but also to a much, much larger population of people who want to play with sound.

That’s what I did but I’m not allowed to sell my ideas here.

If they are compatible, just plug them together with 3.5mm jacks.

I know.

I’m willing to make the dsp modules, with source code, if your interested.

My new MX 4-pole ladder filter runs at 96KHz sample frequency.
All CV controlled, LP, HP, BP selectable.

It’s a TSSOP-28 so it scares the hell out of DIY’ers.
But I deliver it on a 28-DIP breakout board.

And it listens to MIDI as well.

@janost: Check out Electric Druid chips. I’ve has some fun with them as prototyping tools. I do not think that MI is the proper place to develop such tools or chips. Maybe Doepfer would be the right guy to swing these by? However, I would be interested in such chips if I could easily use bread board.
If you are interested in making them, I say make them. I see an advantage to using MIDI to control bread board chips, not the least of which is that it will take up far less space! Using the little wire patch chords to send MIDI and CV signals would be no issue. Sometimes having the right kinds of analogue pots and then hooking them up can be a fun chore, but mostly just a chore. I already have MIDI surfaces I can assign to any kind of knob I want!
If you can develop them, I would definitely be interested in helping you test them/fine tune them for a consumer market. :slight_smile: The DIY electronics sections at my local retailers only seem to be getting bigger. maybe with the exception of Radioshack/Tandy which has been trying to phase out DIY from most stores, but still has quite a bit available around metro areas.

@pichenettes: I’m sure you have already though of this, but you could have the user just put electric tape over the metal top of the regulator? I use electrical tape as temporary insulation all the time, and haven’t had any issues.

The thing with these chips is that they are a pain in the as for the DIYers with their breadboards.

I can make them more DIY friendly and interfaced.

Even for breadboards.

@janost: I’d be happy to help. However, this being Olivier’s forum, it might be a good idea to float these ideas on your own dedicated web presence, the Muff Wiggler forum, the Synth-DIY maillist and such.

I think that by offering some sort of TSSOP to DIP PCB you’re more likely to make things appear more DIY oriented. It’s a great way around the SMD fears held by some, plus making it newb-friendly.

I’m looking forward to seeing more DSP-based stuff. Phase vocoder ho!

@fcd72, one of my favourite movie moments. Not sure how Rolf would feel about it 'though.

@mmarsh: Yeah, for you the 4PM seems like a great fit. :slight_smile: The phaser mode with the resonance flavor set to wobbly is perfect for adding movement to external signals. Not to mention the MS resonance mode is pretty accurate at getting that Korg color as well! While I don’t own a SMR filter, I will say that the standard 4PM settings do sound very Rolandy as well - as I own quite a few Roland synths I think I can say that with quite a lot of confidence. I will say that the band pass filter modes on it are a bit too tame for my tastes. However, I am spoiled with quite a few other band pass options at my disposal.

Again, I would also love to see the 4PM live on too! Even just a 4PM Ripples would be neat. It is my go-to filter for shaping external signals and “warmth”. No extra overdrive necessary. :slight_smile: I even use it more than my SSM2044 Shruthi on external signals now. I still use the SSM on my samplers for obvious PPG reasons.

@janost: Someone seems to have started a thread about a similar idea on MuffWigglers. Perhaps you could post your thoughts there There is even a WordPress blog site devoted to discussion of concepts very similar to the ones you are posting here, in this thread about Mutable Instruments open-source DIY synth products.

^ ;D

BennelongBicyclist > There is nothing on Mutual Instruments anywhere on the internet, I can assure you.

But there is a lot on my micro modular system and my new dsp block system.

That’s how I work.

janost> That’s how I work.

Yes, we noticed.

janost: annoying people is never a good strategy in the long run.

I’m giving you a last chance with this thread.

@pichenettes You’re much too patient.

t2k> say what?
All developers need input from others.
Without that you wont be developing anything.

pichenettes> If I’m annoying, what am I allowed to write?
Would be good to know so I wont burn my last chance?

Hijacking a discussion in which I divulge information about the company, just to promote your own (closed-source) project is not a good idea.

Ok, sorry about that.
I wont do it again.