MI Module Timeline

I am one of those people who like documentation and history (I still write out patch sheets and console EQ and compression settings etc.), so I thought it might be fun to have listed in a single place a timeline of the release dates of our beloved Mutable modules. I became a loyalist shortly after Émile began releasing modules (having missed the DIY phase of the company), so I can clearly recall my excitement as many of these were unveiled.

[Edit: Complete timeline below - thank you Émile.]

Here’s the timeline, using the date of first sale to dealers. Some modules might have been listed before on ModularGrid either because of a leak or early announcement from me, or because I had “beta” or B-stock units (from failed pre-production runs) sold on the Mutable Instruments online shop.

Grids • August 2013
Braids • August 2013
Edges • August 2013
Ripples • August 2013
Volts • August 2013
Links (PCBCart) • January 2014
Tides • March 2014
Frames • March 2014
Yarns • March 2014
Peaks • August 2014
Clouds • January 2015
Shelves • January 2015
Elements • January 2015
Streams • January 2015
Shades • February 2015
Branches • February 2015
Shelves Expander • April 2015
Bag of cables • July 2015
Links (Made in France) • September 2015
Warps • November 2015
Rings • December 2015
Shelves mkII • January 2016
Kinks • March 2016
Blinds • June 2016
Veils • June 2016
Ears • September 2016
Marbles • March 2018
Plaits • March 2018
Stages • March 2018
Tides 2018 • September 2018

I haven’t listed the (minor) revisions of Grids, Braids, Branches, Shades, Tides (switch to “Thonkiconn” jacks and/or built-in 5V regulator). At the exception of Links, all these correspond to releases of modules made in France, with green PCBs. I haven’t listed the experiments with the awful Illinois CM (the black PCB Tides, Branches, Shades and Peaks), since the stuff they made had to be re-tested, re-worked, and sorted, and ended up spread as B-stock, giveaways, demo units, and electro trash (only 30% of it was OK and got shipped to dealers).

Would it be possible to add the manufacturing or sales cessation dates as well? I can feel a visualisation coming on…

Still can’t quite believe the 11 module releases (10 without Links) in 2015. I… how… I don’t even…

Glad it doesn’t seem you’re on that schedule anymore. Not because I don’t like module releases, but because it seems a bit unhealthy. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: