Merkbar and R

As a frequent user of the R open-source statistical analysis environment, I usually read various R blogs while eating lunch (I’m a sad case, I know). Today I came across an R blog called Ripples. And the latest article on it is about using R to create an album cover for a Danish electronic ambient group, Merkbar.

Which made me think about using R to create some suitable logo artwork for my Bees-in-Trees modifications to the Braids firmware. But if anyone else is considering mathematical or data-driven visualisations, or other programmatically-generated artwork, for their amateur virtual album covers, do throw around your ideas here - it is a potentially interesting area and I’m quite interested in collaborating with anyone doing, or contemplating, such work.

Are you aware of David McCandless’ work. Might provide some inspiration for data visualisation.

a|x

Some cool things worth visualizing in the Braids code:

• Plots of all the lookup tables.
  • Repartition of flash use between functions and lookup tables (make f braids/makefile disassemble), then open build/braids/braids.top_symbols first column is the size of the object.

An idea: Put the original .bin in an inner circle, and your new .bin in an outer circle. Draw line connecting similar segments.

Also, this could be an inspiration.

The first I have already done - I wanted to re-use existing LUTs, so I plotted them using R. As a result, one of the internal envelope shaped is called wiggle.

I like the idea of a circos plot of the original and the hacked binary, though. Hmmm. I wonder if a source code dendogram is feasible?

@toneburst, yes, McCandless’ work is always worth a look. I can also recommend the Infosthetics blog by Andrew Vande Moere, who was at the University of Sydney for a long time. And of course anything done using D3