Max Anushri editor

Hi everybody,

I have been working on a software editor for Anushri to play with the hidden midi parameters.
It was done in Max, it is open source, and there is even a standalone .app package for Mac users.

See my GitHub for sources.

Download the Mac standalone from here

Enjoy and let me know what you think of it :slight_smile:

Julien

Looks great!

Nice work!

Not sure if they’re important or not (on my work computer at the moment), but the Max window shows several errors when trying the Mac standalone:

Thanks, can’t wait to try this!

Is the sysex bulk dump request supposed to update the interface elements, or is it just for saving? I see data being transferred but nothing happens to the GUI…

thanks for your messages!
@dnigrin, I think these errors are not an issue, looks like I have erased too many things from the max package when removing unused components…

@0x80, for now the SYSEX dump request is only for saving

Ah ok thanks :slight_smile:

@Smugrik First of all thanks again for this nice editor.

I was testing the editor the other day and of course I experimented with toggle xOx programming since then I can not trigger random beats from the machine it self when I am playing it standalone. How can I fix this ?

I would appreciate a little bit more information drum section of the editor.

Thanks in advance

“If maps and densities are not your thing, there is still a way of entirely overriding the generative drum machine and program x0x patterns into it! This is done through a MIDI keyboard sending notes on MIDI channel 16.
The lowest C# key (on a 61 notes keyboard) is used to enable or disable the generative drum machine, with the programmed x0x pattern taking over.”

You could try sending a lowest C# on MIDI channel 16.

@clemdu Thanks but I was thinking “toggle xOx programming” on editor would do this if I click on it second time.

@cereyanlimusiki I believe the toggle xOx programming would do just that… if not that might be a bug… can’t test it right now because all my setup is in pieces…
Another way to reset back to standard mode if a lowest C# on midi channel 16 is not available could be to do a factory reset of Anushri.

Forgive my ignorance as I’m a total noob for this type of stuff (not for long!), but could this be used to store presets for Anushri? My first soldering iron and some simple noisemaker kits are on the way for me to practice with, after that I’m torn as to get Shruthi or Anushri. Shruthi’s presets sound awesome, and getting that level of programmability in a DIY is simply unheard of, but then again I have soft synths for that and Anushri could be the start of a modular beast…

The idea of presets for Anushri is a bit silly since all the most important synthesis settings are direct analog controls. You can’t store somewhere the position of a pot or switch…

I’m confused… what the OP posted looks like a software MIDI editor for all of the controls on Anushri. Granted the subject title is “hidden MIDI controls” but looking at the screenshot we see things like Filter cutoff, VCO, etc. If those are controllable by MIDI why couldn’t the MIDI values be stored as presets?

I guess my real question should be - how does this editor help?

> for all of the controls on Anushri.

Have a second look. Some parameters that drastically affect the sound (resonance, sub-oscillator mode, hardsync on/off, fuzz…) are not there.

And the cutoff shown here is an “offset” added to the position of the physical cutoff pot!

> why couldn’t the MIDI values be stored as presets?

Because it wouldn’t be very useful to have presets if the sound still depends on the setting of physical panel controls - that cannot be controlled. I don’t want to be the guy who will have to answer ten times a day “I saved a preset and it sounds totally different when I reload it”.

> how does this editor help?

It gives access to parameters which are not directly accessible on the unit and/or that cannot be edited at the same time due to the fact that the 10 knobs at the bottom of Anushri are context-dependent.

Basically, most of the parameters on the left side of the editor UI are accessible directly from the Anushri panel knobs, but the 2 blocks of 10 pots on the bottom left are not available at the same time (they correspond to Anushri bottom 10 knobs in synth and clk/kbd mode).

The 3 pairs of knob that are on blue background are parameters accesible from Anushri’s panel, but on Anushri, they correspond to only one knob, for exemple, the vco mod pot on Anushri’s panel lets you modulate the VCO pitch with envelope-CCW, or LFO-CW, but not both, from the editor, these parameters have two separate pots, so you can modulate the VCO pitch with envelope and LFO at the same time. Same with Pulse Width mod and keyboard velocity target.

The right side of the editor is probably the most interesting, it allows to easily control the xOx mode with the top parameters (midi channel 16), plus it exposes the Midi controls for the drum section synth parameters (midi channel 10).
The two bottom rows on the right simply repeat the parameters that are accessible from Anushri’s panel on the 10 bottom pots in drums mode.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanations guys.

Hello,
euh… can I find somewhere a good tutorial about using this kind of editor? I am new with Max…