Maths goes Cuckoo

I’ve created a patch that uses Maths as a (sort of) sequencer and couple this with the harmonic oscillator from Plaits. There’s some chat about my modular journey this week and the actual patch starts at 4:22 if you’d rather not listen to me babble on :slight_smile:

A minor technical note: Maths is much closer (in spirit and circuitry) to the Serge DUSG.

The difference is that the Buchla 281’s circuitry is not designed to handle anything other than a trigger/gate on its input. A comparator decides whether the core ramps towards a positive or negative voltage, and a pair of switches decides on which CV (attack or decay) is applied to the expo converter controlling the rate of charge. It’s pretty much a triangle-core oscillator, with some extra logic to allow it to stop after a cycle, and if necessary to pause at the end of the attack.

The DUSG circuit does more with less - it is a slew limiter with a separate control circuit for a positive or negative delta between the output and input. This is what allows it to process external CVs. The use as an AD / AR / looping generator is only a special case of this: in these cases, the signal being slew-limited is a well crafted logic signal (trigger OR attack for AD, gate OR attack for AR, with the end of fall pulse being fed-back to the trigger input for looping operation). The Maths and Function, but also the Rampage, all use this circuit.

2 Likes

Hey there! Thanks so much for taking the trouble to clarify the background to the Maths module. It’s clear to me that I have so much to learn. On the surface they seemed to me to have a fair bit in common, at least in terms of what I would try to do with them. But that only goes to show that I probably haven’t picked up a tenth (or even a hundredth) of what the Maths module can do. Serge is a new name to me - I daresay I’ll be down a Serge rabbit hole this time next week… :slight_smile:

That’s a cool patch! Thanks for showing it off!

1 Like