Marbles

My goodness, it is like his masterpiece of module demonstration.

Preordered from Detroit Modular this week. Pumped!

@pichenettes do you have an updated date for the next batch of Stages and Marbles? Have them pre-ordered from two stores here Stateside :slight_smile:

Current batch: now, I’m shipping some daily!
Next batch: end of September or beginning of October.

Hi. It seems that only t1 and t3 outputs are affected by the changes of gate length and its randomization. The manual is not clear about this behavior but I realize the panel design makes it clear that the option is linked to t1 & t3. Still, I was a bit surprised.

Yes, t2 is more like a “master” clock output.

Could I just ask the experts on here: There doesn’t seem to be a reset anywhere… how would you go about syncing this to other sequencers? Thanks!

You stop the clock from the other sequencer. Marbles performs a reset of all counters if the clock is interrupted for more than 4 seconds.

Hi, not sure if this is a silly question but: the Bias CV input doesn’t track 1V/oct, does it?

I thought that would be an easy way to implement (a kind of) chord changes while staying in the same key. You know: instead of dialing the Bias knob to a note that is to have the highest probability, you could simply play it on a keyboard.

I’ve tried to test it by sending CV from a KeyStep but I got confused a couple of times with the tuning of my VCO, so I’m not sure my test was conclusive.

No it’s not even reacting linearly.

Well I use CV over bias for this purpose all the time and to my understanding it doesnt need to track v/oct since the outputs will be quantized anyway, no?

Hm, yeah, it wouldn’t need to be very precise with quantization correcting the voltage. But during my confused experiment I had the impression that an octave on the keyboard didn’t even translate to an octave of “transposition”.° So even if a keyboard works as a CV source for Bias, it isn’t any more precise, musically, than any other CV control means.

But maybe your experience is different? Like I said, my test wasn’t very strict.

Edit: Or maybe you meant that, with quantization helping out, you don’t even need anything as precise as a keyboard to hit the exact note you want as the top of the bell curve? In that case I agree!

° I mean, of course, “skewing of the probability curve”. :slight_smile:

Yup, the second statement was what i meant :slight_smile:

I also like to have it run semi-randomly and evolving while using bias CV to kinda push the melody up and down.
Its interesting as you dont really control the melody per se, more the movement direction.

Hi! So wondering if there’s a way to use Marbles much a like a basic Sample & Hold, but where you can send it a single trigger from a drum pad and have it generate a single random event out of all of its outputs (t,y,x). Kinda’ like how you would use a trigger to advance a sequencer one step, but instead you are stepping Marbles’ magic!
The clock inputs seems to only play nicely with continuous regular triggers.
Thanks! :game_die::drum:

You asked this on MW already, and the answers there are correct. Marbles won’t do what you’re looking to do because it expects a steady clock. You’ll have to involve a seperate sample and hold for on demand sampling. Stages would be a good compact solution. Plus you could get 3 other channels of utlity on top of the 3 sample and holds.

Alternatively you can wait for Marbles to open source and figure out how to modify the code to do what you want. Using a seperate S&H is probably a better solution.

The X section can be stepped like that, but the t section cannot (as someone said on muffwiggler, the t clock input is more like an adaptive tap tempo).

Cool, thanks!
I’ve actually been enjoying the glitchy stuff when irregularly stepping the t section.
Amazing module all around!

Hey Grey, thanks for the tips. Definitely been drooling over Stages for a while now. I think I may need to pick one up soon.

For all the Marbles fans:

Hi there,
1/ is there a limit to the number of scale “variations” on the upper half of the Steps knob? I am programming a scale with 7 “steps” (7 different note occurence numbers) but the Steps knob only allows to select one of 5 variations.
2/ why do pots have such a large dead-band/backlash? this is true for all new modules, and makes fine tuning very hard; where can I adjust this in software?