Marbles

in this patch, I used Marbles to randomized René’s sequence

@aroom - This is great! It sounds like early Vini Reilly or Robin Guthrie. What’s the sound source?

hi.

the sound sources are Rings, Mangrove and a pinged Three Sisters, iirc.

the arpeggios came from René, being clocked by an URA, being FM’ed by Stages.

I was inspired by this track : https://soundcloud.com/the-february-thaw/rings-demo-1?in=the-february-thaw/sets/mutable-instruments-rings-demos. But I don’t have Math, so I try to recreate the patch with my modules.

@pichenettes Pardon the ping, but is there an estimate on when we might see more Marbles becoming available?

Unfortunately no. Shit happened in the world’s supply of capacitors, and there is no longer any reliable estimate. I can repeat you the dates I get from the component distributors, but they have already been postponed twice, so at this point they no longer mean anything.

Whoa… what’s happened to all the capacitors…?

From what I understood: consumer electronics / cellphone manufacturers bullying passive component manufacturer into handling their orders first. And thus there’s a large backlog of orders for standard parts not being processed - and distributors like Mouser/Digikey/Farnell are running dry.

Even for things like a 25V 0603 100nF you start seeing shortages and huge delays:
https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/KEMET/C0603C104J3RACTU?qs=EHsFn6hSx4W0Oy0I8JUofQ==
https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Yageo/CC0603JRX7R8BB104?qs=5q%2bqlK8CmJTEpQNLR3WZPw==

Sometimes equivalent can be found and this leads to another problem: contract manufacturers being overloaded with requests for equivalents and BOM modifications.

Any update on the status of this at all?

Production of Marbles, Stages, Plaits has started. I’ll start shipping to dealers starting from mid July, until August 10th.

Good news!

Is this the second production run of each? I have a Plaits pre-ordered (my second one actually)

Yes.

Hi Olivier,

I´m having a problem with my Marbles Module:
I´m trying to sample a scale I´m playing on my QuNexus.
I plugged the Gate Out into the right clock-Input and the V/Oct Out in the Spread CV-In.
After that I press the button below lenght for 2s and the Module goes into "Sample-Mode.
Then I play the scale on the keyboard; I can hear the correct Pitches beeing passed on to a connected oscillator.
Then I press the button below length again and I should be set, shouldn´t I?

But what happens now, when I unplug the feeding-cables from Marbles, the module wobbles into another
“basic-pitch”, normally something like a minor 3rd above the one from the scale, I just sampled.
I can´t really get the module to play in the scale, it sort of drifts inbetween the notes.
I don´t have anything else plugged into the module, and I have every parameter set to stepped not glide.
Is there a special Knob-placement to get the module to play the scale, one just put in?
E.g. Spread 2 o´clock, Steps 1 o´clock?

I found a youtubevideo (https://youtu.be/MOyaw8lmfRQ), which shows how to do sampling,
and I tried to copy everything he does, but my module behaves differently…

Did I overlook something, or did I not understand the module properly?

Sincerely, TonvaterJna

A couple of things you might want to make sure of:

• Marbles can hold 6 scales in memory, are you using the same scale for “playback” and recording?
  • which positions did you set all these knobs to SPREAD, STEPS, BIAS (the right one)?
  • did you try with another CV/Gate source as well? I remember that – due to all the LEDs – the QuNexus has some really noisy CV outputs which can wobble quite a bit around and hence make it hard for Marbles to identify the correct pitch.

Also, the button on the right controls how each output reacts to the setting on the front panel (so that we can get one output to do the opposite of what is set). Are you using the green mode? (in which all outputs follow the setting on the panel).

Thanks for your help.

The suggestion to use another input-source did the trick.
It seems, QuNexus is too noisy for marbles…

Although, I don´t understand, why it plays the correct pitches on sampling, and on unplugging,
it does something completely different.

However, one more question:

Is there a button/knob-combo to get marbels to replay a sequence exactly in the order external notes were
played in? Some sort of sequence recorder with tunable chance and variation?

Yes, you just need to send the sequence through the SPREAD CV input with the external input mode enabled.

What you tried doing was different - programming a scale.

Ah, ok, but how do I do that?
Does the module need the right clock-input for that, or just the Spread CV-In in External Input Mode?
I don´t really understand what needs to be plugged and set for that, opposed to the scale sampling…

Gate output to right clock input.
CV output to SPREAD input.

Enable the external processing mode.
Disable DEJA VU.

Play your melody. It’s now captured in the DEJA VU buffer.

Highly recommend the DivKid demo. It’s amazing and has timestamps for each bit of info. Every time I’m having issues I watch that video to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

It really shows what to expect and how to execute it without any confusion.