Marbles

A fixed duty cycle (say 50%) is better than a fixed pulse duration (say 10ms).

Okay i tried with a 50% duty cycle 5v gate from es-3 and it seems to not cause the same behavior ever.
Hypothesis: setting the gate on the maximum output causes the es-3 to behave in a way that messes with the gate enough for marbles to sense it and misjudge the phase of the clock.
No issues clocking it from peaks in lfo mode so i guess that resolves it.
Cheers

Mine came with dice. How cool is that?

Yup mine too, really nice ones even

I got a red, transparent d20 and a wooden six sided one. How about you?

Red transparent d6 and a white acrylic d6.
Im envious of the wooden one :grimacing:

The original random generators!

I thought that was a beautiful little treat for those of us who love random.
(I still use multi-sided dice all the time.)

I was using an audio wave pulse initially but then put it into a sequencer that has a clock out and it seems to be working on beat fine.

I can’t reproduce the behavior but I can tell you that when I tried to reset the outgoing pulse to be on beat with the Marbles it would be perfectly out of phase each time.

If it happens again I’ll send notes and a video, but for now I’m pretty sure it’s user error on my part.

I think I am having the same problem…been at it for hours but to no avail. Externally clocking the Marbles with Pam’s New Workout. I can get Marbles to sync up with my external clock, but each time I start my sequencer/clock the Marbles locked voltage loop starts at a different phase of the pattern. I feel like I must be missing something really obvious…surely there is a way to restart the cycle of a locked loop from the beginning when feeding an external clock?

I’ve tried all kinds of different divisions, tempos, voltage amounts, width, and other CV gate sources…Again, everything is working as expected with the locked loop, it plays back accurately, but the starting phase of the T and X sections is unpredictable so I end up with a shifted melody/rhythm each time I stop my sequence and restart. Please help! :sob:

What you describe seems different. It doesn’t sound like something related to the clock, but to the DEJA VU loop. In your case: the position in the DEJA VU loop is never reset. That’s normal.

So is there no way to reset the loop? Darn thats a bummer! On the plus side, in searching for a way to reset, I learned a TON about this module’s features! It’s quite an amazing work of art really.

Is a deja Vu reset something that could be implemented in a code update?

Thanks!

A More Considered Marbeling

So - it’s the Mutable Instruments Marbles again. This time it’s still controlling the heavily modulated MI Elements, but there was some manual interaction (ie knob twiddling) this time. Accompanying it on the bass we have the Roland S1M controlled by a Transistor Research Laboratories Stepper Acid, and drums/percussion from two Alesis DM5s, controlled by Qu-bit Rhythm and two MI Grids. There’s also some polyrhythmic stuff going on courtesy of 2hp Div

Reset is something that crops up in Turing machine threads too… Marbles is like the Turing machine in that there is no step 1 as such, so there is nothing for the sequencer to reset to.
Thats my understanding of it anyway :+1:

And it’s not a sequencer - it’s a buffer of random voltages which you are replaying, so again, where is the “start” of the buffer? It starts where you perceive the start, that’s all…

I know this answer is probably not what you hoped for. Maybe this is an instance discussed earlier, where folks were asking about how to “capture” random sequences created by Marbles - do you have a means of recording the X outputs you wish to use and sequencing them more traditionally?

Alternatively, embrace the RANDOM :stuck_out_tongue:

still, it would be useful being able to shift your looped/buffered sequence of random voltages in time.

Yeah, I had a suspicion this was the case. For now I will embrace the random and enjoy what this module has to offer. It will push me a bit outside my comfort zone, which is really what got me into modular in the first place.

The couple of explanations above are correct. We could “fake” something like that, but it’s not the spirit of the module. It really looks like a slippery slope: the more features we add to make it look like a normal sequencer, the more feature requests (saving/loading patterns, changing patterns, editing a step in a pattern) will appear.

I personally think its part of the charm to not have a fixed reset point.
Random melodies dont follow the patterns of human composition so they tend to have the perceived 1 not at the same spot as the fixed 1, rendering a reset useless for many applications.
From that point its not far to people wanting to choose their reset points which will be another button combination to remember and BOOM enter people complaining that the module is all menu diving and they dont know where they put their reset point.

still, it would be useful being able to shift your looped/buffered sequence of random voltages in time

Adjusting the loop length with déjà vu at 12 o’clock achieves this

Randomly biased Marbles going into Plaits and Dixie. Man…