Marbles

id approach this by using an eigth note clock source and an AND gate.
would probably filter out some of the faster sixteenth fills. experiment with clock source frequency or use a trigger sequencer instead of a clock

5 Likes

Help me wrap my head around this. Marbles’ minor scale seems to contain a major sixth above the root instead of a minor sixth (A instead of Ab with an oscillator tuned to 0V=C). I’ve reset the scale according to the instructions in the manual just to make sure, although I don’t remember ever replacing it, but it’s still the same.

Makes me wonder if I’m making a very obvious mistake here. :slight_smile:

Of course, even with this major sixth I can get it to play correctly in any minor scale by simply tuning my oscillator one fifth below the root of the scale I want (e.g., tune to F for F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb, i.e. C minor), so it’s not a big problem.

You could also use a precision adder to shift the scale to any other key.
If your minor scale has an A natural it’s tuned to the dorian mode, so it would make sense that tuning a fifth up sounds right.

1 Like

Dorian, exactly!

It’s easy enough to turn it into a natural minor with a precision adder, as you said, or by retuning the oscillator. I just thought it was a little unexpected, given the term “Minor” in the manual, which suggests aeolian mode. Anyone else hearing this with their Marbles?

Edit: this is with the Steps knob at 2 o’clock. The Major scale does sound as expected.

Looking at the minor scale in Marbles’ code, I see that the relative importance of G# is 96 and that of A is 16. So moving the steps knob from 1 to 2 o’clock, A should disappear before G#/Ab does, to go from chromatic to natural minor… but that’s not what I’m hearing. Weird.

If you’re not in a hurry, I can check how it works on mine, but not before next weekend unfortunately

1 Like

Thanks! No hurry at all, just curious. :slight_smile: In fact, I think I’ll start a separate thread for this as my case seems unusual, since the code looks correct.

This is a bug (well a data bug) that has been fixed in the most recent batch of modules (and firmware 1.1)

2 Likes

Thank you, Émilie (I’m relieved it wasn’t my ears playing tricks). I’ll upgrade to 1.1 then!

Lord knows i was confused why i always had to play with bias to get minor scale melodies :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Another inqury. As I’m finding a place for Marbles in my performance patch, I end up needing to catch the correct kick drum trigger to reset my other modules to get everything to sync to Marbles’ Grids mode. It’s not fool proof, but I can usually get it within a couple tries. I was wondering if anyone who has looked over the Marbles source code knows whether it would be possible to decouple the Rate or Jitter CV input to repurpose as a Reset while in Grids mode? :thinking:

Quick question about upgrading to firmware 1.1. After upgrading will I need to calibrate?

God no!

Great. I didn’t think so, but sometimes firmware updates require a recalibration, so just wanted to double check.

Marbles is the core of my small eurorack setup, and actually made it possible, as I wanted to keep things to a 104HP skiff, so thanks for creating it and allowing me to build the instrument I’ve always wanted.

A firmware update will require a re-calibration when the new firmware uses a different format for storing settings, and the old calibration data is thus no longer readable. I never change this aspect with my own firmware updates.

2 Likes

That’s great to know, and removes the worry with doing firmware updates with your modules.

As a fellow fan of Marbles who recently put together a skiff including it for a trip, I’d love to see what’s in your 104hp setup.

This is what I travel with:

Skiff+Zoom H5+Headphones+Patch cables all in an intellijel 4U 104HP gig bag

6 Likes

My Steps knob has spontaneously inverted in function:
5 0’clock full clockwise = full slew.
7 O’clock full counter clockwise= octaves.
A restart did not halp

Check the manual. You are probally in orange X mode where 1 and 3 are mirrored from 2:
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/manual/

Search for the part where it describes the function of the “N” button

1 Like

Okay feeling silly I didn’t catch that. Thank You bloc.