Marbles - suggestions on using X output modes

Hi all. I’ve had Marbles for a couple of months now, and have been really enjoying it. A lot of the time creating rhythmical melodic parts for my other modules. I’ve experimented with putting in my own scales, and feeding it ‘live’ CV from a Keystep sequencer - all great!

What I haven’t found a use for yet, is the different X output modes. As I’ve been using it mainly to create melodic parts, switching to any mode other than green sounds pretty off (obviously subjective!). So I’m looking for ideas on suggestions on when and how these other modes might be used :slight_smile:

Would love to hear how you use your Marbles!

I presume you’re using the +2 setting?

+5 or +/-5 with steps fully counter clockwise gives you a beautiful smooth modulation output. ie: equivalent of a stepped sample and hold with a slew.

You can use deja vu lock for repeating modulation or unlocked for smooth random.

In terms of modes, yeah, it’s nice that the options to mix and match flavours are there but I’m strictly a green mode sort of a guy. I tend to find that I either want everything steppy or everything smooth (and there’s always Y if I want a little bit of smooth with my steppy).

I guess it takes some time to master Marbles properly, but right from the start it proved to be much fun… it eventually became the "heart beat’ of my system… if I want a generative random patch or a very pretty straightforward sequence event, everything starts there… in regard to the x section, it is in fact devoted to melodies, but you can also use those x outputs as a CV source to modulate some other modules parameters, sometimes you get interesting results, like modulating MI Clouds or MI Rings knobs i.e… you can even use x outputs as random gates with “Spread” knob fully CW…
here you can listen to a pure “Marbles” generative etude, in this patch y output plays a special role… >> https://www.instagram.com/p/CFm-ovJBLXJ/

1 Like

Modulating marbles with another marbles (and vice versa at the same time) is good fun…

At the moment I really like to use the X side in red mode and with +/-5V. I set quantize to 2 or 3 o’clock and spread to low so I can have a melody mostly around 0V. What I like about that is that you get a nice melody on X3, and you don’t need to lower the pitch of the oscillator to keep it in a nice frequency range. On X2 and X1 you get what to me are equivalent to the stepped and smooth outputs of a wogglebug, but looped: X1 is the opposite of X3 so an unquantized centered slewed and very spread voltage, and X2 is every knobs in the middle so an unquantized centered stepped and a little less spread voltage. I’m sure the randomness is generated in different ways than in a wogglebug, but using it like that I get a nice melody and two flavors of looped random voltage that help that melody come alive.
On the t side I really like to be in orange mode, with every knobs at noon and an external irregular clock. That way, the three t outputs are the same, and the three X output follow the same clock.

1 Like

I’ve been using Marbles in shift register mode alongside TINRS Tuesday. Tuesday is providing the sequences for Marbles to process and divide out between the x outputs. Any unused X outputs can easily be use for modulation sources or self patching back into marbles. Marbles is full of secrets.

2 Likes