Marbles - new alternative firmware

I was using this firmware (mainly for the reset feature) and noticed that Deja Vu wasn’t working as intended. At 12 o’clock (with the T & X lights slowly pulsing) Marbles was not locked in a loop. I restored to Marbles official 1.20 FW and it’s working as expected.

Is there something in this FW that accidentally breaks Deja Vu?

1 Like

Thanks for your idea and experience.

I will make alternate function of spread v/oct cv in for setting root note for scale.

Currently I don’t have a problem about deja vu, I will investigate it and will make firmware for isolating the cause.

1 Like

I saw this reply and gave the firmware another try. I installed and after a few cycles, switched into Deja Vu mode and again the patterns are not repeating as expected. This time I made a video.

Link: Deja Vu Alt FW Video

If I go back to official firmware this procedure in the video results in consistent repeating patterns.

Hope this helps!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your report. It’s very helpful. I can reproduce the behavior.

It may occured by no connection to x external clock input socket when alternative T trigger reset hold mode is active.

Please connect a cable to x external clock input socket (not necessary signal but necessary jack).

(I added the description to github document.)

Hi, v06 firmware released.

X spread cv input can work as X quantizer root select (two alternative modes).

1 Like

Discovered and installed this last night, excellent work!! Here are a couple possible additions I thought of while I was supposed to be asleep: long press rate, wiggle deja vu knob changes the deja vu cv to a loop length cv; long press rate, t mode button switches one of the hidden t modes for the inaccessible Markov mode hidden in the code. Just some thoughts, again great job and thanks!

1 Like

Hi, v07 firmware released.

We can select new (hidden original code) Markov algorithm of T model.

Hi, v08 firmware released.

We can control deja vu loop length using T rate cv input.
(And we can control deja vu loop start position using deja vu loop length knob.)
It’s so fun to play.

(in addition) Setting cheat sheet added to the document.

2 Likes

Excellent!! Can’t wait to play with it, thanks so much!

1 Like

Thank you! What is a Markov algorithm?

1 Like

A pattern generation algorithm for the t section which was not part of the official product release and documentation, but was still part of the code.

6 Likes

I never thought about it, but is the Markov mode related to/does it use a hidden markov model?

1 Like

It’s a hidden, Markov model (as in, it’s hidden in the code and not accessible from the UI), but it’s not a hidden Markov model (with the state of the model not directly observable). :slightly_smiling_face:

The same way statistics about marijuana consumption can lead us to consider joint probability distributions which are not joint probability distributions.

20 Likes

Came for the hidden Markov model discussion, stayed for the wordplay. Which is probably unintentional, but brilliant. Cheers!

3 Likes

“The same way statistics about marijuana consumption can lead us to consider joint probability distributions which are not joint probability distributions.”

Well, that’s putting it bluntly.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for this! Downloaded V8, and bookmarked the github link in a “Mutable alt firmware” folder with the others for Plaits/Rings/Stages/Frames. It’s so great that people are doing this work and sharing it. Thanks so much.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I think this firmware is getting more confusing to use on each update. I tried using it and I just don’t know what is going on. :crazy_face:

Hi, v09 firmware released.

Menu UI by LEDs implemented (inspired from another alternative firmware). So UX improvement and extensibility for future achieved. And booting up LED animation for indicating alternative firmware installed added.

And Serge sequencer inspired deja vu loop start position setting with fixed loop end position at 16 (so loop start position and length are changed simultaneously) added (two types).

I will try to implement “chord mode” in the next release. (Many ideas and requirements will appear. So I will need to have more consideration time.)

Added:
I will make breaking change at next release about deja vu loop length knob of Type3 added in v9.
It will be changed from as deja vu loop start position cv attenuverter to as deja vu loop start position offset.

4 Likes

thanks, I posted 9 days ago some Ideas for Chords mode and some other Harmonic ideas, here is the thread with description for inspiration on next release:

Also, I I read frequently another idea that is not described there, which is “Probability of repetition of previous note”, which can be set from 0 to 100%.

1 Like

Excellent work as always, I like the new UI! Here are some functionality suggestions I thought about while playing around with it this morning.

• Serge style sequencer just like type 4 with length knob controlling pos/length, but with the t rate repurposed as cv for the length knob (without attenuator). That way you can manually play with the sequence without any external modulation and modulate it via t rate cv without having to change menu options.

• Repurpose jitter knob as well as cv for scale select. Maybe there could be a way to save the current jitter level when activating this mode. Personally if this option existed, I would set a small amount of jitter, then switch options so the knob and cv would control scale and probably never change it back.

Edit: or just switch it so that in this mode long press on x range allows you to switch between different pre defined jitter levels … or swing?

• For the chord mode I think @Dadodetres 's suggestion that the spread knob controls the voicing makes a lot of sense. Maybe each output has a fixed bandwidth as if the spread knob was set relatively low, then the spread knob could control the relative bias between the outputs. This way when spread is low the outputs would behave as expected, but as you increased spread you would start to get less probable overlap, then eventually only chords with a closed voicing, then ultimately openly voiced chords.
2 Likes