Marbles and then some Rachets?

What I have: Stages (with qiemem). Marbles. TidesV2. Rings. Links.
What I’m trying to do:

Marbles pumps out t and X to Rings, and let’s say the notes are like this:

C E G G C etc.

I want to crank one knob/slider on [Tides/Stages/Marbles] and have the sequence go:

Ccc Eee Ggg Ggg Ccc (i.e. the same sequence, but now with variable numbers of racheting.) And then uncrank the knob and it goes back to regular C E G G C like it was doing. And maybe another knob could control the delay between the rachets?

I thought that the time shift on Tides would let me do this, but that’s not the case. Can anyone help me think of a way to do this?

Live cranking rachet’s time and number is fun.

THANK YOU!

3 Likes

On the surface this is a pretty easy one I think.

t2 out from Marbles to the gate input on the last step of a stages, hold down the button on green to select the LFO, plug the output from the last channel of stages to the strum in of Rings, patch x2 from Marbles to the v/oct input of rings.

The slider of stages will control the multiplication/division of the clock input from Marbles giving you more or less triggers per ‘step’. You can also cv this or use other Stages channels to process the clock before (or after) the div/mult stage.

Oh aye, remember also that with Qiemem’s, you can change the range of the LFO by holding down the button and moving the slider upwards or downwards.

6 Likes

Can’t wait to try this. Man. I wish there was a Mutable Cookbook. I feel that there is like a secret space in-between the modules, like an esoteric, intended hologram of combined functionality that is only vaguely implied by the functionality of each individual module.

TtHhAaNnKk YyOoUu!!

2 Likes

If you want to do something similar with the t1 and t3 (which don’t necessarily generate a stable clock), you can use a couple single red segments on Stages to make a series of CV delays which you can sum with Links before sending to Rings.

If you go this route, remember that you can hold down Marbles’ Clock Mode button while turning Bias knob to adjust the length of your gates from 1% to 99%…by default it is set to 50% but you don’t want your CV delays to overlap in Links before sending them to Rings.

1 Like

Also thinking about it, there’s a cheaper (in terms of modules and cables) version you can roll although it has less control of the other options.

Put the left side of Marbles into the equation mode (orange), plug t1 into Strum in on Rings then use x2 for the v/oct. The left hand bias knob will make the spaces between triggers different while the voltages for the melody will follow the clock (also, don’t forget you can use the Deja Vu section for locking and superlocking sides independantly).

Marbles does so much good stuff that I think it took me a few hours to realise that t2 and x2 are the actual clock and t/x 1 and 3 are derived from it. if you make the clock nice and slow and follow the lights it makes more sense.

The ‘metaphysics’ of modular are all too real, for me it’s really all about learning what things can do and then exploring the spaces that overlap when you apply different processes/quantities, these spaces themselves are totally elastic. There is a form of real magic in between.

It does really help if you do the boring learning part first though, learn the rules to ‘break’ them and so on.

3 Likes

Could you go into a bit more detail? Like one red all the way low and another all the way high, adjusting the time for delay and then run the x2 through that, somehow?

You can send a faster clock to the T side and a slower one to the X side.

You could use stages green looping as a clock divider/multiplier and adjust each clock on the fly.

I think both @erstlaub and @abortivechronicles approaches are more straightforward (especially if you want to change the presence/amount of ratcheting with a single knob twist or single CV signal), but if you need variable delay, the way Stages CV delay works is:

If the GATE input is not patched, the segment behaves as a CV delay. The voltage set by the slider [C] and CV input [1] is sent to the output with a delay set by the potentiometer [A]. Even without an external CV patched into the input, you can use this as a slider-controlled CV source with delayed action.

So, for example, you could send Marbles t1 to Links 1:3, then send Links’ three output signals to the CV inputs for Stages segments 4, 5, and 6. If you set the segments to red mode with their sliders all the way down, you can tweak the amount of delay for each segment with the potentiometers. The outputs of segments 4, 5, and 6 could then be sent to Links 3:1 for summing before the result strums Rings.

With this kind of setup, every time X1 changes the v/oct of Rings, t1 will strum three times (at variable delays based the potentiometer settings). If you wanted to turn it off, just turn the potentiometers fully counter clockwise. You can dial in some nice swing timings with this method and doing it with X instead of t (and maybe using Links 2:2 for accuracy) can produce some really interesting, complex melodies.

2 Likes

the way Stages CV delay works is:

I… I can’t believe I missed that. I think Stages is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Hot take: Stages is the most brilliant MI module, I mean, besides all the other brilliant MI modules.

2 Likes

!!! What a great idea, there is so much to explore and discover! A Digital Mutable Cookbook would be awesome.

3 Likes