Making Sounds Like JD Emmanuel & "Orgone"

Okay… so I discovered JD Emmanuel’s music some months ago, and I’ve really never have felt such an affinity for a sound as much as I’m drawn towards the sound of his three Pro-1 (or DSI Evolver?) synthesizers he used to produce his album Wizards. This music really resonates (lol) with me. It’s really such an amazing and beautiful sound.

I’ve also found JD’s sound echoed in the the song Orgone by Bitchin Bajas (not exactly the same, but similar).

JD Emmanuel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqK2pAHB43Q
Orgone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4v-0z7fStI

I’ve recently dived into modular and was hoping someone might help point me in the right direction in terms of the modules that would allow me to emulate the sounds of JD and Orgone. In particular - what modules would allow me to produce similar timbre, droning, looping and pitch modulation found in the undulating sounds of these artists/tracks?

I’ve been able to get close with MI’s Plaits in wavetable & harmonic wave modes in terms of the organ-like sound, but I am unclear on what modules to add in order to achieve long, undulating sequences, layering of those sequences, and how I might spice those sequences up with the addition of some higher pitched notes.

Maybe I need multiple Plaits with Tides and a few Stages?

Am I crazy for thinking this is something that I might be able to get close to with a small modular setup?

Thanks!

PS - I’m not trying to COPY these tracks, it’s just my source of inspiration :slight_smile:

You can try Stages in harmonic oscillator mode, but frankly, modular is just not the right tool for this because what I hear in those tracks is polyphony and conventional keyboard playing techniques with fairly standard organ tones. It screams Shri Camel (which is just a standard combo organ and a delay)!

It might be more productive and less expensive to look into a conventional preset keyboard (say a Yamaha MX49, don’t be ashamed!) with combo organ presets, or something like a Reface YC, then to make it less obvious with guitar pedals (or tweak the built-in effects to death).

1 Like

I suspected that polyphony might be at the heart of it! And a bit to my dismay, the more I learn about Eurorack, the more I’m beginning to think it’s significantly more economical to achieve polyphony through other means.

Alas - I think I’ll continue down the eurorack path and see where it takes me :slight_smile: Thanks again for the guidance!

Loving the Shri Camel album, btw…

Behringer makes those Pro-1 modules now. You could get 3 of those for less than a beat up antique Pro-1. They also just announced stands that will house 3 of these modules like the Mother32 type.

When these new P1 units were announced I actually thought about JD Emmanuel because I remembered reading a interview with him and he said he was disappointed that he could no longer afford to buy the original Pro 1s so he switched to the Evolvers.

1 Like

That’s actually a great idea to consider. That might just be the move. Thanks for the input!