This week, I plan to fix a couple of things to make the firmware hacking of modules easier.
The first step is to provide an official build environment that can be installed with only a few commands. I settled with VirtualBox running a Linux virtual machine, the whole thing managed by vagrant. It’s still a tiny bit of work to install VirtualBox and Vagrant on OS X / Windows / Linux, but from there we can all have the same development environment.
You can find the vagrant file and virtual machine initialization script * here *.
The second step is to progressively check that the firmware of all modules are not over capacity (code size and/or CPU) when compiled with a more recent versions of gcc than the antiquated 4.5.2 originally used during the development of braids (2012 !). For this purpose, I have rewritten a significant part of Braids’ code resulting in leaner and faster code, that is not so ticklish about compiler version. A few more tweaks and I’ll be able to publish a release candidate of the Braids code by the end of the week. After that, I’ll focus on all the other STM32F1 modules (Tides, Frames, Peaks, Yarns, and Streams).