Machinedrum Mki (non uw) vs Midipal for midi sequencing

Hey All - Ive got a guy offering me an MD MKI (No PSU - its a funny 6vac - difficult to get - cost $100.) and a boken encoder cap (cost for replacement set $50 + Shipping) - hes offering it for $550 but itll cost me $700 to make it workable and Ive seen MKIUw for a bit more than that - I need/want a drum machine (I use Geist almost exclusively) But the sequencer on the MD was the icing - But Ive got a Midipal on the way - which one would you rather go into battle with as a sequencer? This particular MD has a few red flags (i havent seen it turn on as the guy lost the psu) so Id like to get an MD eventually (or now…) - I have to tell the MD guy by tomorrow

how much ma/a does the ac psu need? what kind of encoder cap is broken? …i’m quite sure you could get the parts much cheaper than 150 bucks.
what do you mean with "the seq on the md was the icing?

Honestly I wouldn’t buy an MD you havn’t seen turn on for $550. The MKI sells for around $5-600 anyway, so it’s not much of a baragian with all the repairs it needs…

i think ryan is right. you shouldn’t buy it for that price at least

I meant (seq icing on the cake) because I do in fact need a drum machine but I think this one has too many red flags. But just for kicks which would you prefer as your midi sequencer?

if you’re not afraid of soldering i would recommend the lxr :wink:

though i’m not quite sure if you’re after an actual drum machine/drum synth or just a x0x style sequencer…but the lxr combines both pretty well :wink:

Yeah the LXR is on my list. I think I just get bamboozled by the possibilities of plocks - they just sound perfect. I know its just automation but its done so well. Im surprised no-one has said anything about midipal and its sequencing abilities?

i never used a midipal and i hardly know about it’s sequencing abilities…

It has a very simple sequencer that records note data, rests and ties like the SH-101 sequencer if you have a MIDI keyboard going into the MidiPal. The sequencer isn’t the reason the Midipal is so great, but it’s always nice to have in there =).

listening to the LXR samples it SOUNDS exactly what Im looking for. I read the innerclock systems midi tests they did with various machies and scored them 0-5 depending on midi timing/jitter ect and the MD got a 2 out 5… Im an ableton user so I have possibly the worst sequencer for external gear. Simply horrendous timing. So I was hoping the Midipal may actually provide a good master clock and sync it all to the midipal? Thank you for your help guys.

First, if you use ableton you are in severe problems syncing anything else than whats inside ableton.
Second, a MidiPAL isnt a sequencer, it has a very basic 101 style sequencer app but by no means its meant to be a sequencer - think alone of the tiny 1x8 Display and just one encoder as User interface……
Third:a broken Encoder including Cap is around 5 Bucks, a 6 V AC Wallwart by no means 150€ (Its not a VW or AUDI, is it?
Conclusion: i never would buy anything at any price thats broken, psu lost and the buyer can’t prove to work, especially not at the average price you pay for a good condition item.

Sounds overpriced to me, too. To be honest, I wouldn’t get a Machinedrum without sample-playback (UW) capability, anyway. Sample-mangling is the most fun thing the Machinedrum can do, in my book.

a|x

Ableton Live is pretty tight for me when sequencing external MIDI gear (running on a Mac with a good MIDI interface).

However, as @fcd72 hints at; Live is utterly unable to run solidly when it has to sync to any kind of external clock. Just don’t ever try that.

Live has all kinds of odd MIDI behavior, bad NRPN handling, wobbly timing etc… as much as i would love to have a big colored blinking controller to fire my clips - whats it worth with a bad timing? Therefore i got a Cirklon :wink:

@thijs what midi interface are you using?

@shiftr I use an ESI MIDIMATE II (an USB 2 cable style interface that actually works — yes they do exist) and the MIDI interface on my PreSonus FireStudio Mobile (a tiny firewire audio interface hooked up to my rMBP with Apple’s Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter).

@fcd72 Live is odd about MIDI but “wobbly timing” has not been an issue for me. I’ve been using Live seriously with MIDI gear since version 8. Of course a Cirklon and a huge mixing desk with lots of outboard fx is much cooler, but sadly we don’t all have a huge basement to put all that gear in. :wink:

Anyway, I’ve found that using MIDI gear with Live works fine as long as you keep in mind that:

• Live won’t do SysEx.
  • Live won’t do NRPN properly.
  • Live won’t work well with an external clock source.
  • Live will send out lots of repeated MIDI CC messages with the same value if you use long non-discrete automation curves. This can fill up buffers and might confuse some gear so it’s better to use discrete values when automating CC.
  • Live won’t do SysEx. – Live won’t do NRPN properly. – Live won’t work well with an external clock source. – Live will send out lots of repeated MIDI CC messages with the same value if you use long non-discrete automation curves. This can fill up buffers and might confuse some gear so it’s better to use discrete values when automating CC. Live wont sync to external clocks (midi). Well Im thinking about going back to logic - Im really waiting for Biwig - god I hope its as good as the demos make it

This can fill up buffers and might confuse some gear so it’s better to use discrete values when automating CC. - could you expand upon this further?

@thijs
As an engineer writing lots of software I’m aware of this - but hey, its not rocket science given the available amount of processing power getting this right, is it?
Even i can do this on a PIC. Its a matter if you care or not. If you do implement something, do it right or skip it and MIDI is clearly defined so it should be no problem sticking to this definition. Obviously they don’t care enough to correct this in 5+ year and this is what i wanted to point out. And yes, i don’t use it, sadly because the basic idea, workflow and optics is quite nice.