Mac Tutorial: How to compile and upload the firmware of MIs eurorack modules

Ok it was usbasp, now I get this: /usr/local/CrossPack-AVR/bin/avrdude -V -p m88p -c usbasp -P usb \\
-B 1 -U flash:w:build/branches/branches.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 750000 Hz
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn’t answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

make: ***** [upload] Error 1

Will try to update firmware. Sorry for spazzing. :slight_smile:

You need to set the fuses first.

And please ask these questions on muff, I don’t want to be bothered with questions regarding DIY modules.

Sorry I thought this would be a general firmware upload problem for everyone. Will ask on muff.

I’m having trouble compiling the ARM toolchain. I’m running OS X 10.10.3. I had Xcode 6 installed with the command line tools, but since Xcode 6 doesn’t support gcc, I reverted to Xcode 4.6.3. When I try to make install-cross I now get:

couldn’t understand kern.osversion `14.3.0’

Hello

I’m trying to upload the firmware Clouds (by FTDI). To compile’ve followed these steps:

• Make -f clouds / makefile
  • Make -f clouds / bootloader / makefile

In the “built” folder “clouds_bootloader” and “clouds” appear. Then, to upload the firmware:

• I press and hold RESET. Simultaneously SYSBOOT Press, then a release RESET while still holding SYSBOOT.
  • make -f clouds/makefile upload_combo_serial

MacBook-Pro: eurorack User$ make -f clouds/makefile upload_combo_serial
python stmlib/programming/serial/stm32loader.py \\
-p /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI \\
-b 115200 \\
-e -v \\
-w build/clouds/clouds_bootloader_combo.bin
Can’t init. Ensure that BOOT0 is enabled and reset device
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “stmlib/programming/serial/stm32loader.py”, line 413, in
bootversion = cmd.cmdGet()
File “stmlib/programming/serial/stm32loader.py”, line 106, in cmdGet
if self.cmdGeneric(0x00):
File “stmlib/programming/serial/stm32loader.py”, line 103, in cmdGeneric
return self._wait_for_ack(hex(cmd))
File “stmlib/programming/serial/stm32loader.py”, line 69, in _wait_for_ack
raise CmdException(“No response to s” info)
main.CmdException: No response to 0x0
make: ***** [upload_combo_serial] Error 1

(Jumper wires connected Correctly: RX> TX, TX-> RX, GND-> GND, the FTDI is at 3.3V, and Clouds Eurorack powered up via the power cable).

I uploaded the firmware to Braids and everything has been correct. But I could not upload it to Clouds

Can you help me with this issue ?.

Thanks

@pocajoke, please see the third post back before yours - the post by pichenettes, who is Olivier Gillet, the owner of Mutable Instruments.

@pocajoke, i’ve gotten similar errors resulting from either loose/bad jumpers on the ftdi dongle or a poorly soldered micro controller on a diy module. if the module is a factory unit, it’s obviously not going to be the latter, while your success with the braids update likely rules out the former :wink:

using ftdi, i am getting this error on “make -f /§ModuleName§/makefile upload_combo_serial”:

stmlib/makefile.inc:220: recipe for target ‘build/clouds/stft.o’ failed

any ideas?

@funkyj, please see the second sentence of Olivier’s post above.

Hi ,
this error means something wrong with the ggc-arm ??

stmlib/makefile.inc:311: build/braids_bootloader/depends.mk: No such file or directory
/Users/E_/Downloads/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4/binbin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -MM -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -I. -DGCC_ARMCM3 -DSTM32F10X_MD -DNO_APPLICATION -DF_CPU=72000000L -DF_CRYSTAL=8000000L -DUSE_STDPERIPH_DRIVER -DSYSCLK_FREQ_72MHz=72000000L -Istmlib/third_party/STM -Istmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f10x -Istmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f10x/startup/gcc -Istmlib/third_party/STM/STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Driver/inc -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb -fno-unroll-loops -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti braids/bootloader/bootloader.cc -MF build/braids_bootloader/bootloader.d -MT build/braids_bootloader/bootloader.o
make: /Users/E_/Downloads/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4/binbin/arm-none-eabi-g++: No such file or directory
make: ***** [build/braids_bootloader/bootloader.d] Error 1
E-s-Pro:eurorack E_$

i’m having problems with this step '‘export PATH=$HOME/arm-cs-tools/bin:$PATH’'
i copy this command and nothing happened

thanks

You probably put the wrong path in makefile.inc.

Look at the path make is trying to generate:

" /Users/E_/Downloads/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2013q4/binbin"

binbin?

mm i put like this in the makefile.inc

TOOLCHAIN_PATH = /Users/E_/arm-cs-tools/arm-none-eabi/bin

1. Supported: arm-usb-ocd, arm-usb-ocd-h, arm-usb-tiny-h, stlink-v2
    PGM_INTERFACE = arm-usb-ocd-h
  2. hla for stlink-v2 ; jtag otherwise
    PGM_INTERFACE_TYPE = ftdi

PGM_SERIAL_PORT = /dev/cu.usbserial-AH02F0TK
PGM_SERIAL_BAUD_RATE = 115200
PGM_SERIAL_VERIFY = -v

but i manual copy the toolchain_path , should be ok ??

Hi , i start everything from the scratch and the first steps work but running

make -f /Users/E_/eurorack/braids/makefile upload_combo_serial

i recibe this
E-s-Pro:eurorack E_$ make -f /Users/E_/eurorack/braids/makefile upload_combo_serial
stmlib/makefile.inc:311: build/braids/depends.mk: No such file or directory
make -f /Users/E_/eurorack/braids/makefile upload_combo_serialbin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -MM -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -I. -DGCC_ARMCM3 -DSTM32F10X_MD -DAPPLICATION -DF_CPU=72000000L -DF_CRYSTAL=8000000L -DUSE_STDPERIPH_DRIVER -DSYSCLK_FREQ_72MHz=72000000L -Istmlib/third_party/STM -Istmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f10x -Istmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f10x/startup/gcc -Istmlib/third_party/STM/STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Driver/inc -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb -fno-unroll-loops -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti braids/analog_oscillator.cc -MF build/braids/analog_oscillator.d -MT build/braids/analog_oscillator.o

any hint ??
thank

what means this message
?
E-s-Pro:eurorack E_$ make -f /Users/E_/eurorack/braids/bootloader/makefile hex
make: Nothing to be done for `hex’.

then i do everything from the scratch and i receive this

E-s-Pro:eurorack E_$ make -f /Users/E_/eurorack/braids/bootloader/makefile hex
stmlib/makefile.inc:311: build/braids_bootloader/depends.mk: No such file or directory
mkdir -p build/braids_bootloader/

I don’t know exactly about all these problems, but all this stuff has been deprecated by the vagrant environment

also works for flash the bootloader? sorry for ask , i know that this trend is not for DIY modules

Thanks Olivier !

Yes, works for firmware programming too.

estebanse> I know that this trend [thread] is not for DIY modules

Then why are you asking these questions, which relate to bootstrapping your DIY module, here? Ask them on Muff Wigglers.

I agree, all firmware related questions which relate to the need to do things on MS-Windows, or which stem from a lack of even basic understanding of posix shells and makefiles can be answered by “use the vagrant environment, and follow the instructions for it”.

Hi @BennelongBicyclist ! i have 3 original MI modules and i will get more soon , the idea of start a DIY module cames because i want to modify the firmware of those original modules , but for my lack of understanding i was quite scared about to touch the original and lose the warranty.
So like you has said, i know about this and DIY but you can considere that i’m learning for to this with original modules
Thanks

Hi there,
I’m getting an error at the “make” step (i’m trying to flash a Clouds) :

MacBook-Pro-de-Dehu:eurorack onstage$ make -f clouds/makefile
stmlib/makefile.inc:311: build/clouds/depends.mk: No such file or directory
/Users/onstage/Documents/DIY/arm-eabi-toolchain-masterbin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -MM -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -I. -DGCC_ARMCM4 -DSTM32F40_41xxx -DSTM32F4XX -DARM_MATH_CM4 -D__FPU_PRESENT -DAPPLICATION -DF_CPU=168000000L -DF_CRYSTAL=8000000L -DUSE_STDPERIPH_DRIVER -DSYSCLK_FREQ_168MHz=168000000L -Istmlib/third_party/STM -Istmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f4xx -Istmlib/third_party/STM/CMSIS/CM3_f4xx/startup/gcc -Istmlib/third_party/STM/STM32F4xx_StdPeriph_Driver/inc -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mthumb -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mthumb-interwork -funroll-loops -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti clouds/clouds.cc -MF build/clouds/clouds.d -MT build/clouds/clouds.o
make: /Users/onstage/Documents/DIY/arm-eabi-toolchain-masterbin/arm-none-eabi-g++: No such file or directory
make: ***** [build/clouds/clouds.d] Error 1

Any clue ? maybe i got the arm path wrong…