Looking for Braids scales overview

Although ancient :upside_down_face:, Braids is still one of my favourite modules. Now with the extra time provided by the lockdown I want to explore the scales option further. According to the 1.8 update overview, there must be over 50 scales. Is there an overview of all 50 scales.
@ pinchinette. I’m very impressed and happy that you decided to include Indian scales. I used to play Sitar and Rudra Vina and being able to quantize to them is a nice trip down memory lane.

The most direct and up to date reference is the source code.

Divide by 128 and multiply by 100 to convert to cents.

For example, the third option (ionian) contains these notes:

{ 0, 256, 512, 640, 896, 1152, 1408}

These convert to:

0, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 semitones.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’m currently compiling a list with eurorack modules (ones that I own) that feature scales. Much needed info if you want to play them from a common source. what’s missing in most of them is an option to change scales with voltage control. Maybe there should be a standard (yet another one?) that organises scales in such a way that when applying a certain voltage level a module always responds with an associated scale. One of the things that makes music created with eurorack systems somewhat boring is that scales changes that create harmonic tension are not easy to make. (unless you set all of them to chromatic and use an Instruo to control them) I’m currently looking at: Typhoon and Clouds, Braids, Tides 2018, C-Quencer DLX, Qu-bit Bloom, Yarns (?), Plaits (to a certain extend), Disting 4.

1 Like

But on which input?

Here is another (much simpler! already implemented!) standard I propose: oscillators respond to V/O, end of the story.

It is the job of the sequencers, quantizers, keyboards, MIDI interfaces that control them to send the notes they should play. Braids’ quantizer was there for convenience – you’ll notice that no oscillator/sound generating released after that has a built-in quantizer.

1 Like

Hi Did you succeed in compiling the list? I don’t know any music theory but is still interested in your research.
What I do:
Qubit bloom into Instruo.
From Instruo rot into Chords and Braids (+ others that are monophonic).
This is fun and as Chords has this so called quality input it is nice to for example when playing C, to change from maj7 to min7 to dim to sus4min7.
Braids has a flute and it is also nice to send a voltage to the color input to alter the pitch of that flute whenever. I do however struggle to finding the right scale in Braids that corresponds to either the scales in Chord or Instruo when playing the flute this way, or maybe this colour input does not work like that/care about the quantizer setting in Braids?

What do you mean? Do you mean that no MI oscillators has a built in quantizer? Because there are surely other newer modules that has this implemented.

Also what I get out of Khidr’s text is that it can be nice to play different scales at the same time, maybe particularly in polyphonic modules. I can imagine this could be great to play around with in combination with different clocking, switches and or sequential switches etc. So If one had a standard for voltage sent to the Quality or whatever input that such modules have to change the scales this could be rather interesting.
I myself have great fun making sequences with Pamela’s new workout and a mixer, and with this changing the scales in Qu-bit Chord, while another sequence is connected to the v/o in this module and other voices. So if I with a switch could send this same sequence from Pams to another module with a similar input this would be awesome.
Btw I have had some success with in a similar way sending another short sequence to the colour input in Braids when playing its flute, something that makes it change its pitch to quantized keys, even though it does not seem to stay within the chosen scale in Braids quantizer.

What I mean is the built-in quantizer in Braids’ is an accessory, and that I did not repeat the mistake of putting a built-in quantizer in any other oscillator module that I released after that.

Why do I think it is a mistake now? Because an accessory integrated in another module will never have the flexibility and ease of use of a dedicated module. In particular, changing scales by CV is not really feasible in Braids - Braids doesn’t have a spare CV input that could be used to control its quantizer.

Hi, I finally found the time to create a partial list: the spreadsheet below list scales for Braids., Plaits, Rings, Yarns, C-Quencer DlX, C-Quencer 1, InStruo Harmonaiq, Strymon Magneto, Expert sleepers Disting MK4 (mode A-6 quantizer), Qu-bit Bloom, Arturia KeyStep Pro, Arturia KeyStep 37. (done in a hurry, so please ingnore the less then optimal format)

The C-Quencer DLX and 1 are rare Japanese modules, but extremely interesting as they combine Euclidian sequencing with a lot of or very fascinating musical options. I included the KeyStep Pro pro and the KS 37 because I wrote the manuals for them and because the KeyStep Pro is (in my opinion) the most advanced controller currently available and the best controller for eurorack because of its analoque outputs. overview of tuning modes - Sheet1.pdf (44.9 KB)

Fair enough. I do however as mentioned have some great fun sending a sequence to the colour input in Braids when playing the flute. I do this at the same time as another sequence goes into the v/o, but the little sequence that goes into colour is short, fast and only triggered at specific moments.
I don’t know anything about programing but maybe in theory the FM input could be used to control it’s quantizer?

Hi Khidr. Well done, maybe make a post about this on modwiggler? Maybe others are willing to expand on it and maybe even ad voltage values for transposition of scales and voicing etc where it makes sense?

Thanks for making me aware of C-Quencer DlX. Interesting module and concept. Kind of fitting to mention it here at Mutable Instruments as there are not that many other makers who really think outside the box.
For anyone interested there is a video on it here:

I had the Dark Time sequencer that fortunately died. Fortunately because I then pulled out my “old” Keystep something that improved my music. I like to combine it with sequences from Pam’s as Pam’s is not, and not meant to be a good pitch sequencer on it’s own, but together with a cv mixer, a sequential switch and a Keystep it can be quite good.
Should probably have a closer look at Keystep pro at some point…

Hi Jonas The video online shows 5% of what this thing is capable of. The creator is a very introvert Japaneese genius who doesnt speak english very well. There is manual online. I ve been using it for 4 years and is they only module that i rank above anything created by mutable.

1 Like

Sorry, forgot posting it elswhere is ok.

1 Like

I don’t understand. What do you mean?

Yes I noticed he struggled a bit with english. I found the japanese manual but not in english, but fund the list of features and updates so got the impression that it is rather complex. I’m probably not going to get this module as I got most of my modules secondhand or on sale, unless the maker of that video who live here in Norway want to sell his, but I doubt it : )

I’m also rather happy with the combination of Bloom, Pams and Instruo and keystep. Also, If I should get another sequencer at some point I think I would go for one to program and store longer compositions.

Saying that, part of the fun with eurorack is to see what musicians and makers come up with, and to follow the evolution of all of this.

On another note and not related except Japan and Mutable Instruments. Here is a guy I follow that I think deserves way more views as I find his compositions, with a limited amount of modules, and his filming really good and rather special and different from most eurorackers.

Modular with nostalgia / Eurorack + VHS Tape Ambient / Rings Plaits Ensemble Oscillator MATHS Steppy - YouTube .

You asked wetter it was ok to post this spreadsheet on modwiggler (?) Thats ok with me…

I thought maybe you might want to do it as it is your project and might be interested in future communication regarding this, but yes, I don’t mind doing it : )

1 Like