Looking for a compact MIDI keyboard

Hey all!

So, I built my shruthi about a month ago, and every time I use it, I am always amazed at the sound! The menu structure is very intuitive (more so than some other “synths-in-a-box” by much larger companies) but I am, at the core, old school when it comes to synths/recording. I like hands on when I’m tweaking. The CTRLR panel I built is nice for getting into the modulation matrix, but when it comes to creating a patch from scratch, I want to reach for a dedicated knob. Right now I am using an M-Audio Oxygen25 and have the filter, plus both osc waves & parameters assigned to the 8 knobs. This is nice, but I want more. Unfortunately, most of the compact keyboards I see have only 4 to 8 knobs, 1 or 4 sliders and a touchpad matrix. It seems most companies are angled to sample based control. I do not use Ableton and have no use for pads. What I am looking for is a compact keyboard that only has knobs and faders in abundance. The only one that I noticed that comes close is the Akai MPK25 (the 49 is too big, but more of what I am looking for). Whats nice about that one is the 12 knobs has 3 pages each for 36 individual parameters. If only the pads were replaced with faders, I’d be set! Enough with the damned pads! Anyway. Hope someone knows of something I’m missing :slight_smile:

Build this! :slight_smile:

http://www.synth-project.de/Shruthi.html

or build this

@ flip, lol, yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind. That thing is nuts

@ fcd72. I guess that could be an option. i do remember reading about that. What I would probably do is gut my 25key controller just for the keys and build a box around it to house everything. I was kinda trying to steer clear of something like that because of the amount of time needed to make it. I’d much rather just buy a key controller, but, if I cant find what I want, I’m sure I could find the time :stuck_out_tongue:

@ fcd72, btw, you sell kits for that right? Would it be possible to get everything for it but the enclosure? If so, what would the cost be with shipping to US? Thanks!

i recommend you a novation remote compact, 8 knobsx 4, and the screen on up where name of the parameter is wrighted! very very useful… plus one on the only which handles sysex and nrpn in agood way…

@qp

drop me a mail at daniels (ät) daniels (minus) cards (dot) de . . . .