Long-pressing double button, what does it mean?

I’ve been using Clouds few years.
When I accidentally pressed double buttons, something went wrong.
Reverb sound has really weird echo now…
Does anyone know how to fix it ?

There are mainly two reasons why Clouds doesn’t behave like one would expect.

1. You switched from Main granular mode to an alternate mode, ie Spectral Madness.
  2. You entered calibration mode by accident and unintentionally recalibrated Clouds with false voltages.

Are you running the factory firmware or an alternate?

Thanks for your quick response !

well, actually I tried to use Alternate mode.
And when I tried to go back to normal mode, I put double button…
Now I’m not sure if it’s still Alternate mode or not…

Thanks for your quick response !

well, actually I tried to use Alternate mode.

And when I tried to go back to normal mode, I put double button…

Now I’m not sure if it’s still Alternate mode or not…

Well you should be able to tell in which mode Clouds is.

Assuming you don’t have an alternate firmware like Parasites installed:

Select Modes

by pressing the B button for 5 seconds until one of the LEDs glows in orange, and then repeatedly pressing the button to select one of 4 functions:
(First LED lit) Granular processor (normal operation).
(Second LED lit) Pitch shifter/time-stretcher.
(Third LED lit) Looping delay.
(Fourth LED lit) Spectral processor.

Enter calibration mode

Press the Load/save button, and while you hold it down, press the Blend parameter/Audio quality button. The first 2 LEDs will blink in orange.

which sounds more like what you accidentally did.

If so i assume you had to calibrate Clouds now with the correct voltages. The manual will tell you what you need to know. If you don’t own a multimeter this is a good spot to get one. They are cheap.

But what makes me wonder a little: this odd behaviour is only accuring when you add reverb with the blend knob?

1 Like

I saw two orange light blink, then I did put Save button.

I’m not sure which my model is,

but I simply firmware update to v1.31.

I checked as you told me about reverb,

yeah as you mentioned me, when it has no reverb, the sound is still weird…

A multimeter is not necessary for calibrating, but makes it a lot easier, since you can be a 100% sure that you input the correct 1V and 3V.

If you already have a multimeter and some constant voltage source (Peaks’ 4step sequencer, Blinds, Maths…) that would be my 1st choice to do so.
Nothing wrong with using a midi-interface, as long you are sure what the respective standard is (c1 & c3 or c2 & c4…). I guess try and error will also do it, but you know…

Thanks a lot !!

I’m trying it with SQ-1 now.

I note C2 and C4 from DAW(ableton live) to SQ-1.

Now it sounds better, but it’s something like 1 octave higher than sampling sound.

Hmm I’m doing try&error…

You mean BRAIDS is also good for calibrating ?

Remeber you need a constant voltage of 1V and 3V, not the concrete audio/pitch of let’s say a c4.

1 Like

Hmm I’m trying with SQ-1 and BRAIDS,

but it’s not working.

I don’t understand how to calibrate exactly…

Could you tell me how to do it with SQ-1 or BRAIDS for example ?

Do you have a multimeter to see which voltage the SQ-1 outputs for the C2 and C4 notes? As @Nino said, they need to be 1V and 3V respectively, if you don’t maybe you can find the info online? Maybe here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-vjCIiZ0Og

1 Like

Thanks for your advice !

I actually don’t have a multimeter…

yes I’m doing like you sent me for SQ-1.
I just set C2 and C4, but as you told me I don’t know the exact voltage SQ-1 makes now…

How do you know that the note you set is c2?

And i read that the sq-1 has different ranges for its cv out. 1V, 3V and 5V. Are you sure you selected the right one?

And i read that the sq-1 has different ranges for its cv out. 1V, 3V and 5V. Are you sure you selected the right one?

Hold function on the sq-1 and make sure that the two leftmost buttons are lit in the rows of 8 (this is 1v/oct)

If you’re serious about eurorack, you might want to get a multimeter. It’s one of those things you use rarely, but which are very essential in the moments when you need them. They are not overly expensive and people here on the forum can help you to find a good one.

Thanks !
I counldn’t find the multimeter, but I found the boltage checker yesterday, so I’ll try it with SQ-1.

I’ve calibrated my MI modules with my SQ-1 and Logic. I discovered that you need to use C3 and C5 to send the correct voltages. this may be different for you (I have a Logic session I called “calibrator” - don’t know how yr sending the info to yr SQ-1), but hopefully is a little helpful?