Light-quiet Warps

Hi! Love my mutable stuff! Just got Warps! Looking at Frames.

However, I have a light-quiet rig, I tape over LED’s, I don’t add them :0)

Is there a firmware option to disable, turn off, or otherwise tone down the lensed tri-color LED behind the algorithm knob?

Thanks a bunch!

I think if you remove the knob you should be able to tape over the LED

1 Like

Yeah, as I said I tape 'em up. Unfortunately in this case, it’s looks are unbecoming of the intrinsic beauty of the module.

I can just change the code. Was wondering if there were already hooks for folks like me; color-blind and distracted by visual noise. I know there were some previous attempts on other modules. Those aren’t interesting to me.

Just looking to turn it off, or dim it a lot without monkeying with the hardware.

Thanks!

There is no such firmware pre-compiled anywhere, you have to build it yourself.

Just shift the red, green, blue variables by 1, 2 or 3, eg:

main_red_ = red >> 2;
main_green_ = green >> 2;
main_blue_ = blue >> 2;
1 Like

Got it… been through a lot of your code on the Prologue ports. Nice stuff; easy to read. Thank you!

Btw, day one on Warps, I am loving this vocoder implementation. One of the treats of the old Moog Vocoder was a patchbay on the envelope followers. Your Timbre control variation is a nice variation. Enoying this very much.

This is an interesting point-- some of those who are color blind are more sensitive to light I understand. I read the book by Oliver Sachs, “Island of the Colorblind” about an island where a notable percentage of the population are completely colorblind (not just red-green, everything is I gather, monochromatic). But they have considerably greater light sensitivity. And one theory as to why the population has so many color blind people, is somehow connected to a history of night fishing where those who could see better at night were better able to fish. Their eyes were better adapted for seeing at night where color is less important than light sensitivity, and some evolutionary pressure increased the prevalence on the island. So it appears it can be a tradeoff, what you get without color vision may be an increased capacity to operate in the dark or dimmer light. It also means that bright lights may be perceived as even brighter than it does to those with color vision.

My understanding is in the modern general population, red-green color blindness is more common that 100% color-blindness, but it certainly exists and those of us that have tricolor vision likely don’t always understand what it’s like to be different in that regard. Reading Sachs’ book might be helpful to that understanding, especially where product designs are involved-- there are a lot of areas where knowledge is lacking, and the number of modern electrical devices with those horribly bright blue LEDs are just one example-- those things irritate me with tricolor vision, I can’t imagine how horrible they must be to someone with extra light sensitivity. The ability to disable or at least dim lights seems to me should be more of a standard than it is…

Red, green, and red/green are the most prevalent form of colorblindness. Yellow/blue CB, is next at much less frequency, R/G/RG is nominally a male deficiency, while YB is mostly found in females.

I ‘see’ mostly yellow (which is green I’m told), and blue. Everything else is best described as an undifferentiated mud color.

‘Color Blindness’ affects us in two ways:

• color discrimination, telling two colors apart; a transition in LED colors, a change in a traffic light. These are often observed as a difference in brightness.
  • color identification, identify single colors; this is often accomplished only through learned conventions about normal color use. Toolboxs are red, not brown. Banana’s are yellow, oranges are orange.

Operating a device with tri-color LED’s for me is discrimination. I have to push the buttons a couple of times, to find the dull one (red), then cycle through the settings, counting button presses until I get to the one the manual says I should be at. Fun? No.

Physiologically, I see a world of bright blue and bright yellow, and colors of no description other than just mud.

Psychologically, I see a disinteresting visual world filled with differences I can’t see, but have to deal with in an non-enjoyable game of sleuth and deduction.

Here’s my rig. It’s a suitable color - none :0)

It’s like, when you look at something your mind says “red” or “green”. Mine says “redgreen”, “nothing”, “idk”. That what bi/tri-color LED’s mean to me. :0)

The tri-color LED to me looks like two moderate level lights, with slightly different light brightnesses. The red is very dim. I can’t tell what any of the colors are unless I compare them, then I can get red, unless it’s really off. The other two are indistinguishable. It’s the worst possible choice.

A white/blue/any-third-color LED would be great, but the light levels need to be managed.

Fwiw, I’m a retired EE; mostly ASIC design, very large systems, and fault tolerant computing. Color choice was very important for me then, for obvious reasons. :0)

My Dad was a colour-blind electrical engineer… when rewiring something around the house he would have to take someone with him to ask what colour the wires were… my Mum also chose all of his clothes!

My dear mom has fond memories of reading ‘those little bands’ on resistors for me when I was a kid building my first PAIA modular from magazine articles.

Being CB’s not all bad. :0)

1 Like