Korg releases two new Electribes

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe/
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/

And a volca sampler

The electribes cost 399$. They even have analog sync in & out. + they are made out of zinc die cast (Druckguss).

^- actually the first Volca that makes me want to spend money on a VHS-Cassete sized Box with flimsy Pots

It’s sort of tempting. I like these shoebox-sized boxes! Plus points for not having any bizarro decorations ala Aira.

I’m probably an idiot, but what exactly is the difference between the new Electribe and the Electribe Sampler?

@t2k “Sample” let you use samples. The Non sample has more oscillators, 16 different filter types, etc.

korg.de says it’s 475 EUR MSRP.
So probably 399 USD/EUR street price.

looks nice, i also like these shoebox-sized boxes. And this time they have a sync input and each track can be of different length. I also don’t get the different between the ‘electribe’ and ‘electribe sampler’.

As for the volca: no input whatsoever, and no storage medium? How do these samples get in there? They say “Sample input only possible via special iOS app” which does not sound very convincing (one aspect of hardware for me is that it should outlast the average software cycles. This app is unlikely to still run in 5 years).

Someone will probably reverse engineer what protocol they use to transfer the samples via sync in and will write a computer app :wink:

It’s a shame the volca doesn’t have a build in microphone and doesn’t sample itself…

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Volca uses MIDI SDS to get the samples in there.

Agree with @shiftr…a built in mic would be brilliant on that Volca. Still seriously thinking about getting one though, looks like a lot of fun to use.

regarding Volca Sample Transfer: maybe they adopted Olivier’s method for module firmware updates via audio …

looking and the two Electribes, they look more or less the same, both have SD card slots. So why didn’t they combine both into one killer groovebx

Yeah, looks like firmware updates are already done via sync cable on the Volcas
Could this work for samples too?

“Olivier’s method for module firmware updates via audio” --> this perfectly feasible and not exactly new. Data transfer can always be done via audio (think of a modem, the older ones might remember, or a datasette, a compact cassette used as storage medium).

If you want the transfer to be reliable on a variety of soundcards, including those built in phones, it’s going to be slowwww… The Volca firmware update method (FSK) is running at a few hundred bytes per second. The method I use for Braids (QPSK) works at 1kb/s. There’s no way they are going to use that!

What would be the point anyway? If this thing can receive digital data encoded as audio ; it can also receive plain audio ; and thus it can sample! I assume the iPhone app will simply use a USB connection.

The only inputs on this device are sync in, midi in and the DC power connection.

And i love this quote
"The sample reverse playback that’s indispensable for hip-hop is provided, and you can turn it on/off independently for each part."

> I assume the iPhone app will simply use a USB connection

The only inputs listed in the specifications and to be found on the box in the photos is Sync In and MIDI IN. Maybe they’re using the MIDI jack for USB to speed up the transfer though.

> What would be the point anyway? If this thing can receive digital data encoded as audio ; it can also receive plain audio ; and thus it can sample!

Sure, but at what rate and depth? :wink:

> Sure, but at what rate and depth? :wink:

These days we’re kind of spoilt - ADCs built into microcontrollers are at the very least 10-bit (8-bit taking into account noise), and 12-bit is more common on the higher end ARM parts this thing is probably running on.

So if it processes the incoming signal from the iPhone in the analogue domain - to demodulate it - it is at the very least capable of 32kHz 10-bit sampling; which is probably good enough for having fun.

If it sees the incoming signal only as a digital signal, then we have a rather horrible transfer rate - at the very best in the kilobytes / second range.