so I’m looking at cheap knobs and I find these .
Are these made to have covers put on them? Is that why they have that crater?

ah geez. Nevermind…dusted off an old mouser catalog with the answer.

those are huge diameter wise…

Yeah. Check these out. I wanted to find something like this if you know of something similar.