Kinks S&H minimum trigger?

Hello! Brief question about Kinks. I am trying to use Kinks with an IFM Swoop. Swoop is basically a function generator, and among other things, it emits EOC triggers. I only have a Mordax Data for a scope, but as near as I can tell the triggers are 6V and very short, something on the order of 10 microseconds.

These triggers don’t trigger Kinks S&H (they don’t trigger many things outside IFM-land to be honest), and so I found myself curious what the minimum duration a trigger would have to be to trigger Kinks.

Thanks! Apologies if there’s a better thread for this question… Couldn’t find one.

0 Likes

The circuit doesn’t look for a specific voltage level, but for a strong rising edge, and a pulse lasting a sufficient amount of time.

A 20µs duration allows a reliable detection (subject to 10% tolerance on caps).

1 Like

Thanks for the info! That’s very helpful. I may reach out to Peter to see if he can tell me how I might widen the triggers on one of them (I have 3 Swoops).

Swoop is at least partially intended as an audio oscillator. Due to the architecture of the module, I think widening the trigger would lower its effective upper audio range. But, I’d be willing to do that on one of them, especially since I suspect it would be a simple component value swap that could be easily undone.

Swoop does have a -10/10V square out, and after posting this last night I realized for most of my purposes I can be using that. That triggers Kinks fine, as well as a Make Noise strike input. There are definitely other instances where having a more usable trigger would be helpful though, so I will probably still reach out to him.

Thank you again for the info! Very much appreciated.

1 Like

I have this weird on and off obsession with Tromsø. I just realised I could do downsampling pretty much using a square wave and… kinks! Similar feature set, right?

When using the square out from DPO on Kinks trig in, the signal out of Kinks was possibly less loud and less distorted than when I used the Bastl Noise square, which also has a pitch control knob for the square. What might explain the difference between their respective square outs? I also briefly tried Mangrove’s square out which had a similar non-aggressive effect on Kinks.

Kinks manual:

The trigger signal can go to up 10kHz: try patching a high-pitched square VCO to the TRIG input to add aliasing to an audio signal sent to IN (“bitcrushing”).

I guess I just like to better understand what separates one square in my system from another: DPO, Noise Square, Mangrove used with Kinks for adding aliasing.

Hugs

0 Likes

The Noise Square seems to generate the square signal using an AVR. I haven’t looked into the code, but there are so many ways of doing this that would introduce aliasing!

DPO and Mangrove are analog so there’s no aliasing.

1 Like