Jack insertion detection

Out of curiosity, how do you do that now? Do you use plugs that have the dedicated pin for that, or do you detect it somehow via software? Thanks.

I am not aware of any connector with an insertion detection switch independent from the signal pin itself, so I do it by sending a pseudo-random noise on the switch; and compare the readout with this pseudo-random pattern. If it matches, I know that nothing is inserted.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted to know.

Curious, two out of three plug types I found in brick and mortar shops happened to have it, despite I didn’t need it and was not searching for that. Both have a slightly different approach to the same concept: a metal contact with its own pin (3, 5 in the figure, which is to a stereo plug), that touches tip (4, 2) when nothing is plugged in. By pulling that up and pulling tip down with very different resistors, the jack presence will be reported as GND or VCC on that pin.

121-1022%20pinout%20stereo%20jack%202

1 Like

Oh sure, bulky horizontal jack connectors are commonplace… Now find me a vertical, 10mm tall part like that :slight_smile:

Sorry, I thought you meant they aren’t common, so it was strange for me getting them without intention. Well, the one “out of three” I got that don’t have that mechanisms is in fact the more compact one, I mean the one that allows the greater panel density, since it’s just a closed cylinder with 10mm diameter. But I ended up replacing all of them with the cheaper one below, because they were so tight making it really hard to push the jack inside, and it didn’t get better after some usage.

It’s quite compact, and it has the detector metal contact (under the tip), but it’s practically unreliable because of the low quality in the metal bending. But I guess you needed board-mounted components, not panel-mounted?

Panel-mount hardware is rarely (if ever) used in commercial Eurorack modules.

I’m pretty sure that one in the photo is electrically the same as the ones currently on Mutable Instrument modules.