iProphet

http://youtu.be/pi47QZYPy2E

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XViXch8BuT4

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ne0macFAWLI/UHmILkEj8rI/AAAAAAAADLM/dhhXIYHQxG0/s400/lustige-Bilder-im-Bett.jpg

Hehehe !

It’s actually a pretty nice sounding iPad synth with a well-designed interface.

But its as near to a VS as the thing above in the Pic to a real Women…. although it won’t suffer from lava hot regulators, badly designed vector stick mechanisms and dying CEM 5530s - it just suffers from Sound :wink:

@fcd72 False analogy you sexist pig!

I could not show you the right analogy due to Child Protection Rules.

Yes, he is right…i insist, as normally the role of the sexist pig is mine !

@fcd72 Do you own an iPad? Are you willing to review the sound difference if I send you a €10 Gift Certificate for this SynthApp? I’d love to read your review of the sound difference. :slight_smile:

I don’t have an iPad and i don’t have an inflatable Girlfriend either - but you are highly welcome to come on over, have a beer and compare yourselves :wink:

And now i know i know whats missing…… it simply doesn’t sparkle and shine like the VS. Because Arturia “removed the Sidebands” - thats like removing the Truffle from your truffled spaghetti.

Agreed. They should have made an effort to model the aliasing as closely to the original as possible instead of considering it a “defect”. I think this was also the main point of critique about their VST version.

It’s still a fun way to play with Vector Synthesis for those poor people like me who can’t afford to own An Original.

Its certainly a nice synth for the money and as close as you can get to a VS by spending 10 Bucks. But its nowhere near the original sound. So you want to come around showing up here, huh?

I’d be happy to drop by for a few beers and a comparison; if only I had the time… :confused:

Actually I think the “sound” is only a part of the thing. Some virtual recreations of vintage synths are actually pretty convincing I think.

I remember listening to a sound comparison between an actual MS-20 and Korg’s recent iMS-20 softsynth. If you don’t know which one is which it’s really hard to say if one is sounding better than the other, it’s sometimes even hard to spot the differences. These things only work in a blind thest, when you don’t know which device is producing the sound you hear. If you put the hardware and the ipad in the same room and play them alternatively to know which one sounds better your brain will be fooled by the fact that you already have an opinion and you hear what you want to hear. That’s what fools most audiophiles into believing that those $600 stones taped to your audio cable really make the sound quality better and remove comb filtering (and these things really exist!)

So while I couldn’t help but post that Sherlock youtube video, I must take t2k’s side in this discussion!

My point is much more that I’m a bit bored by all these vintage synths being re-made into cheap (as in cheap price) softsynths. We now have the most “state-of-the-art” computing device and all they are able to produce is something that apes the classic synths from 30, 40 years ago. Where’s the innovation? I mean I love the sound of old analog synths, but
Also I’m a bit disgusted by the fact that all these instruments are turned into a noodle-around-with-it-a-bit-and-then-forget-about-it commodity. Now everybody’s got a Prophet VS they won’t care about in a month, when the next iOS remake hits the app store (ok I’m exaggerating it just to make the point clear).

Then of course I know that all of this discussion is a bit pointless, since I can just ignore the ipad and the ipad synths and happily mess with the hardware I’ve got and all and in 20 years we’ll still have our MS-20s, Prophet VSs and Minimoogs (if we were good at keeping them running and repairing them when needed) but most of these apps will have probably disappeared.

But to be honest, wasn’t that all in all about all the software synths? I mean there are some pretty decent soft synths available, but all in all the really usable and used are to be reduced to maximum two hand full. The rest is imho bullshit, when it comes to sound, UI or whatever…and i do not fuel here the discussion between VA or digital !

@rumpelfilter Software innovation has pretty much stopped because of App Store economics. Prices have gotten so low that it doesn’t make sense to risk a big investment in some new unproven software synthesis method if you sell applications. It’s much safer to recreate classic sounds and instruments people spend $10 on without thinking twice.

This is why the most interesting software innovation now mostly ships inside hardware devices.

Well I think desktop DAW-based softsynths at least have that “practical” component when it comes to music production. Something you can’t say about iOS synth. The latter sure have the mobility factor that even a laptop-based DAW can’t offer, but they are not really the handy and quickly available sound sources DAW plugins are.

@nightworxx The main reason I stopped using software synth was that the human interface is often so horridly bad. I think people who ship hardware tend to take much more time and effort getting the interface right.