Interview with me (about a lot of things, including Mutable Instruments)

I’ve recently been interviewed for the comic Anthology Jet Pastic, for which I’ve made the above illustration.

In the interview I talk about comics, music, synths, DIY, Mutable Instruments (that’s why I decided to mention it here) and how we all completely replace our body cells every 7 years.

The interview can be found online here: http://jetplastic.net/interview-pasqualini/

Cool will give it a read!

I wonder why my new cells are worst than the ones before them…

EDIT: Just read it, nice piece! Love the MI reference as your proudest work (so far) and totally agree that the end result is superb.

Would love to know what secret synth work you are doing!

You smoke or drink too much.
at least that’s what spoiled my cells :slight_smile:
but fortunately I’ve quit smoking before the last cycle

Excellent interview. Thanks for sharing.

thanks man!

Great interview! It was cool to see some of your other work that isn’t synth related. It is very impressive. I would have never thought that all of those different art styles came from only one person.

So when are we getting a set of kaiju modules?

The many styles are on one hand due to me having developed too many of them in the last years, and on the other hand to the fact that often I work in collaboration with my wife. For example the Yellow Magic Sticker is one of these collaborations, the recent Intellijel t-shirt are another example for that.

A Kaiju series of modules would be a cool idea. They should be really huge and destroy cities with laser beams from their eyes though!

You know that thing about the cells is only partially true, for skin and hair and such. You neurons, for instance, aren’t replaced at all.

yeah I know… it’s more kind of a gag to say that we kind of change over time :slight_smile:

Very nice read, @rumpelfilter, thanks for sharing it!

Kaiju-modules? They do exist, I have this one – quite big, no euro, more like 5U:

… but damn cool laser eyes!

@rumpelfilter I’ve spent many hours deconstructing and reconstructing your designs for the MI module panels in an effort to create panels for my DIY versions of the modules - a sort of Derridan re-engineering. In so doing, I have come to really appreciate just how elegant your panel designs are - there is a lot more than meets the eye to designing technological artefacts which are simultaneously beautiful and consistent, elegant and functional. and successful musico-cultural syntheses (pun intended).

@BennelongBicyclist: hehe, thanks a lot! I should point out that the MI design is really the product of a long and complex process, and the fusion of both my ideas and Olivier’s.

Great design is almost always the result of a close collaboration between the “designer” and the “client”.

@t2k: indeed! Though sometimes I find it that it can also be just the combination of some very clear ideas on the client’s side and a good amount of creative freedom on the designer’s

@rumpelfilter True. That’s also close collaboration, in a sense. :slight_smile:

As an Industrial Designer myself, I would say that a successful close collaboration always involves a great deal of trust on each other´s strengths.

The client knowing what they want (and what they don´t) and the designer knowing how to materialize that!

@Varthdader: amen to that! So you’re an industrial designer too? I’m saying too, because my degree actually says “industrial designer” despite the fact that I have been working more as a graphic designer.

@rumpelfilter: yes! I am! I have drifted towards industrial equipment in my professional career and I have little creative output as far as product design because most stuff is riddled with regulations, norms and standards, so it is way too technical to be able to incorporate as much aesthetics as I would like.

I think that Industrial Design is a very good starting point to drift into many areas be it graphic or musical instrument interphase design!

I’ll admit that I never wanted to enter into the field of industrial design because I was afraid of having to give up a certain creative freedom. But I was also afraid of having to design chairs and lamps! :smiley:

That close relationship was what made Apple a success. Although two USB ports on a laptop is damned annoying!