Intel´s Arduino compatible Galileo

Just saw this on the news:

I am interested on the opinions of you guys as to what could this more powerful board could achieve in the Electronic Music Instrument space?

Same as raspberry pi: not much besides cool one-off projects.

What made the arduino so successful was that it was easy to transplant its ‘guts’ on your own board. It’s not happening here, so if someone ever designs a cool synth around this, they’ll have to buy a truckload of these at $60 and stuff them inside my box! All the ‘copies’ or ‘upgrades’ of the arduino are totally missing this ‘prototyping platform’ angle and it’s a big pain in the ass to reproduce at a scale of more than 10-20 units whatever you have built with them.

I assume things will be like on the rpi: audio/MIDI performances on par with a desktop computer when addressing an external USB interface, and things getting a bit slow and crippled when using I/O pins directly.

I think its a common misconception that more computing power leads automatically to better products :wink:

More computing power gets largely sucked into running more complicated OSes with more layers of abstraction to make things even easier for beginners and more importantly to support high-level devices like USB (in host mode) and network interfaces - and in the end this replicates all the things that suck with smartphones, tablets or desktop computers. Would love to have something that powerful that runs a bare-bone RTOS instead, without all the “internet of things” junk.

I figured as much.

I think that what they are really trying to acheive is aim for the “end-user tinkerer” and not to generate a development community that adopts a standard.

This makes developing products based on a given new platform more difficult like Pichenettes is saying.

I would love to have a new Arduino platform developed with these “transplant” and “light OS” ideas with the pro hardware developers in mind.

I agree with fcd72´s concept, although I have to say that I would love to have a more powerful platform for talented people like you to develop even more amazing and capable/creative stuff.

More computing power does not lead automatically to better products, but it enables their possible existence!

Sorry, I quite don’t understand the point with arduino. Is it slower than microcontrollers without it? How much slower?
And for projects: Couldn’t I use the arduino boards for prototyping and then copy the parts and include them on the pcb (like e.g. groovesizer is doing it)? Where is the problem?
I’m just asking, because i currently also work on a arduino based drum controller. It’s also my first time ever with hardware, so arduino makes many things much easier.

Agree with @pichenettes. One new thing that does interest me is the Espruino because 1. it comes with a lot of soldering pads on the pcb and 2. because it has an interactive JS console which seems really nice for interactive prototyping.

Also, it’s very simple and relatively cheap at $35 a pop.

@flocked

You can integrate easily with the Arduino (as most Arduinos are ThruHole Parts) but you wont do this that easily with the INTEL Board mentioned above, have a look, its highly integrated SMT.

The Arduino consits besides the Hardware of the Arduino Software Libraries, which seem to be not the fastest - therfore easy to use.

Another example ist the PicAxe Series - while supereasy to program and the fastest System to get anything going - even if you know exactly what you are doing herer, theres just a 2.5 khz update rate for your onboard 1 Channel PWM leftover if you run the whole System at 64 MHz. Now compare this to the Audio Rate PWM + 2 CH CV + MIDI the ATmega in the SHruthi does at 20MHz, just because oliver used his own AVRIL libraries which are targeted for optimal performance not for overall use of everything.

There isn’t only one kind of arduino:

• The old ones (duemilanove, uno) are using a 8-bit microcontroller which is extremely slow, but easy to find, cheap, available in DIP packages for DIY.
  • The more recent one (due) is using a 32-bit ARM microcontroller which is faster, relatively easy to find, but impossible to solder by hand for the average DIYer.

The rpi and this intel thing, along with some other ‘single board computers’, are using advance SoC that can only be bought in monstrously high quantities, are impossible to solder by hand (BGA). This totally kills the “prototype and replicate” approach.

The fact that the part is BGA is only half of the problem. The other half is that it has 300 pins or more and requires a super-dense PCB, possibly multilayer, and carefully designed connections to all its peripherals (in terms of length / position). So in the end, you’ll need to have a carefully designed board with the chip and all its dependencies (like flash memory…), possibly power supply, etc… and that’s exactly what these boards are!

Somebody should sell BGA ICs on a tiny breakout mini board which could be smd or even better thru hole!

I think deals like this are less marketed towards inventors and hackers and more into cheap(relatively) platforms for getting kids hooked on Intel platforms early on in their STEM careers. Once a generation of decision makers who group up on Intel tech are out in the world, that can only be good for their higher end tech platforms. Not to mention all the goodwill and free press when student projects on these things get rolled out.

While its nice to see DIY hardware development take root, its creating software engineers the thing that big corporations are into, because those are the assets that drive adoption of their products in the future.

herrprof that is exactly the vibe I am getting, this is more a Marketing tactic than anything else.

…and now there is also this, coming soon: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardTre

edit: this looks more than a little like a RaspberryPi with an Arduino Uno on board fpr peripheral interfaces…

> platforms for getting kids hooked on Intel platforms early on in their STEM careers

There’s nothing intel-specific in this - hardware and instruction set are so deep down that users will never see them. What kids would get hooked to is whatever OS this runs. If it’s linux, it’s not such a bad thing…

Perhaps off-topic, …

@pichenettes, if you have the time it would be very interesting to hear how you got up to speed using the STM32F controllers you use in the Braids module (and others?), and also why you selected this one?

Some info here

Cool, thanks! =)

>There’s nothing intel-specific in this – hardware and instruction set are so deep down that users > will never see them. What kids would get hooked to is whatever OS this runs. If it’s linux, it’s not > such a bad thing

Yea I understand, but it gets Intels name out as A LEADER IN EDUCATIONAL COMPUTING, basically trying to coop the type of image the Raspberry Pi and Arduinos orgs have built for themselves, utilization a teeny tiny fraction of their resources (hell i bet its coming entirely out of their marketing budget!).

What about this?