Installing eagle on an ARM based umbuntu 15.04 (Odroid/Raspberry Pi Etc)

I thought I would document my experience after solving my initial issues.

My initial goal was to replace my aging thinkpad I was using in the lab for schematics, eagle, etc. The requirements were modest: Google Chrome and Eagle and since I was already running Lumbuntu on the laptop I figured a micro comp like the Pi or Odroid would be the solution and went ahead and ordered an Odroid X4u.

The Odroid is effectively a Pi on steriods, bigger processor, faster USB, faster network. I opted for the eMMC storage as well. The card comes with Umbuntu 15.04 preinstalled and smokes my old laptop performance wise. Now the big problem: Eagle runs on x86 linux only. I did some searching around and came across these guys who make an x86 container for ARM based linux. They just happen to have a month free trial. The download is huge (1.6G) but setup is straight forward and soon I was running a shell inside the x86 container. From there it was just a question of downloading the install script from CADsoft and installing all the x86 stuff needed for it.

The initial error was:

$ sudo ./eagle-lin-7.1.0.run
Ensure the following 32 bit libraries are available:
libXrender.so.1 => not found
libXrandr.so.2 => not found
libXcursor.so.1 => not found
libfreetype.so.6 => not found
libfontconfig.so.1 => not found
libXi.so.6 => not found
libssl.so.1.0.0 => not found
libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => not found

so

sudo apt-get install libXrandr2:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libxi6:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386

was the solution as well as BZIP.

After that, the install script ran and that was that. Eagle runs fine and I dont need to do anything prior to running it, I’m not sure if the container runs in the background automatically or what but I can simply click on the program and it fires right up. Performance wise, it is better than the native on my laptop so no complaints and I’ll happily pay for exagear when the trial is up

Hmm, which model exactly? All I can find on the net are ARM based, which might explain it…

Ah. Didnt even think of that. It’s a Exynos5422 Cortex-A15

So I guess the next question is what the VM situation look like for these devices?

A VM won’t help if Eagle is only available compiled for x86 on Linux. ARM chips use a different instruction set, thus everything needs to be compiled specifically for them. Not a problem for open-source software.

I’m going to give this a whirl, free for a month right now: http://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

Ah, OK, an X86 emulator for ARM. Interesting to see if it is fast enough - they claim near-native performance. Useful if it is.

and jackpot, had to install all the dependencies manually but I am up and running on the Odroid! Exagear works as advertised…

Something to think about: Kicad works on all architectures and is free of a number of other arbitrary restrictions that Eagle has… I also found it easier to use, even after having done a few layouts with Eagle.

Not a fan of kicad. this is primarily to have the ability to open boards and schematics in my lab while building stuff and eagle is the more common format

Cool! I might have to try this on my RaspberryPi2… =)

That should work just as well on raspberian