If somenone search a job in Synth design, that the moment!

Arturia search someone :

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/company/jobs.html

Opening position : Hardware Engineer - Ref SIA20121011

Job Description :

You will be part of a team working on a world-renowned music product. Under the direction of the project manager, you will lead the development of new hardware devices as well as maintaining the already existing products.
According to the provided specifications, you will design the electronics, write and implement test procedures, and assist our industrial manager in setting up production.

Key skills :

A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electronic design + 3 years of significant experience.
A good knowledge of both analog and digital design.
Experience in real-time and multi-threaded firmware programming(C, C++).
Experience in circuit layout.
High level of attention to detail.

Preferred skills :

Good knowledge of EMI (CE/FCC) constraints.
Experience in design to production processes.
Experience with Altium Designer.
Experience in analog audio synthesis circuitry.
Experience in digital design.
Experience in USB devices design.
Experience with Midi protocol.
Familiarity with computer music and synthesizers.
You speak and you write French fluently.

Information :

Place of work: Meylan (Grenoble area) FRANCE.
Contract Type: Long term contract – full time.
Start Date: ASAP.
Company size: 25 people
Reference number: SIA20121011

PolyBrute in the making :wink:

does anybody here except oliviere match these premisses?

Actually, Olivier is not even owner of a master degree in Electronic design. But I hope this could be compensated by his experience in hardware synth design…

@micmicman:
i assumed having most of the “prefered skills” would make up for the missing degree

Olivier was aimed by that thread :smiley:

The truth is there’s very little content relevant to analog synths in a modern day EE degree. I know a few people who studied in a proper EE school in France (Supelec), and among those who studied hardcore technical topics* - it was mostly digital design (verilog/VHDL) and embedded systems (with a minority of people getting into power electronics/energy and instrumentation/control/data acquisition). What’s more relevant, I think, is understanding/measuring/describing sound and music - and this is something orthogonal to EE (this is something I studied in a more computer-science centered curriculum).

• Not sure if it’s the same in other countries, but the output of the best engineering schools in France go in priority to consulting or management positions in tech companies…

Hmm, something like Prof Aaron Lanterman’s classes plus embedded systems and a solid foundation in analog electronics would be useful. Then you’re describing an atavism: The Renaissance Engineer™ who, like Yoda, scoffs at management positions and non-tech consultancy! Who knows his shit, ain’t afraid of a a few transistors, and sighs at young whippersnappers, apps coding, and OOP and other modern rubbish…

I guess some USB and display experience, Linux, programming and DSP skills could be useful too, depending on your product. And, as Olivier already said: Interest in music and sound!

I studied EE at Supelec before branching into finance & applied maths and I concur I would have been completely unable to design even the most basic analog circuit when I finished my engineering degree.
I learnt 10x more by self studying after getting into sdiy in the last 18months.
So I would definitely concur that any engineering background + actual practical ( commercial or diy ) design experience is probably much more relevant than any formal EE-specific degree these days.

As a holder of a Ms. C CE degree I totally agree. There’s nothing wrong with coding apps, working with modern “rubbish”, or finance and applied maths. There’s not exactly a booming job market for old-school EE skills like analog design, nor old-school CE craft like assembler or low-level coding for good or worse. In the end we’ll all end up doing finance work, services or management-like work the way things are going.

It’s more a question of a relevant background plus personal interest, self-studies and experience.

I studied EE too, but I was lucky that my school offers courses, for interested people, of acoustic and modeling of musical instruments, with a genius guy ( creator of beautiful stringed instruments modeling ).

For French reader, I recommend you read his lectures on sound and music (Olivier you should like it!)

@nicoo: I used to teach a similar class at Paris 5 (with a bit more emphasis on speech/music compression since the students were mostly doing digital communications/multimedia), and the practical sessions of the acoustics/audio class at Telecom Paris. Final project was a time stretcher/pitch-shifter. I wouldn’t mind getting back to it :slight_smile:

@nicoo thanks for the lecture notes, pdf looks very interesting !
I hadn’t realised that french guys were behind Pianoteq.
Philippe Guillaume looks like he’s got a very rare combination of advanced musical and technical skills as well as an exceptional ear, the term genius seems warranted here !