IC socket in the wrong direction?

I have just noticed I have soldered the IC socket for the ATM the wrong way, i.e. with the notch the opposite side as printed on the PCB.

Does that really matter? Could someone please confirm I don’t have to unsolder the socket as long as I insert the IC itself in the right direction?

Thanks.

Not a problem.

Why should you, even if the socket has a notch, it’s a socket - a 1:1 connection to the pads. Turn the IC and everything should be fine. As long as you did’t fry anything before, of course !

Thanks.

I guess it’s time to close the workshop…

Man, knowing that could’ve saved me so many minutes of frustrated desoldering on x0xb0x… Thanks for asking, it’ll inevitable save me more in the future

The downside is that if in 5 years, you decide for some reason to remove the chip to replace it or clean the board or whatever, you might forget that the socket has been soldered backwards, put the chip in the “right” orientation with respect to the socket and bam! fry it.

No problem. Just put a tippex dot on the socket on the right side to remember.

Hm, i always keep the schematics in an archive :wink:
Just in case…

You are unmanly nightworxx- Proof: you socket Chips :wink:
Its a good idea to mark the right position of the chip, personally i use sticker with “Socket soldered wrong way” printed under the chip on the socket to remind me. . . . .

I use a sticker with : ‘Call yourself a DIYer? This socket is the wrong way. Don’t do it again or the capacitor fairy will take your manhood’. Needless to say, I use very small writing.

As i am unmanly this threatening would be totally useless in my case…
Weren’t you supposed to be on the Musikmesse???

Dont worry about the capacitor fairy taking your manhood, fear the regulator

MY BRAIN!!!

Sticker with “Socket soldered wrong way”…
Hmmm… reminds me of the ‘Y2K Compliant’ stickers… and then the sticker to certify that the Y2K sticker itself was also Y2K compliant…

Hey alti, where the f…ck have got this picture ? This is pure eye-cancer and braindamage.

Ah, you are new to the shot nightworxx… this one is from the discussion about the trans-sister if i remember right…

Whoa, evil too !

Its the Diode Devil…the dark Master of polarity reversing…