I honestly can’t believe…

…he’s the first one to think of this:

http://youtu.be/Tu2_9L1Qp20

well not really, Nicolas Collins explains similar techniques in his book Handmade Electronic Music if I’m not mistaken

He’s not… I’ve seen something like this in an exhibition of crazy instruments made with recycled materials/electronics in 2005…

i did something like this with some friends in the 90s… but we ripped the idea from someone else too.

I think Laurie Andersons “tape bow violin” was the first time I saw that kind of idea. I tried it too by moving a straightened piece of tape over a fixed head. But moving the tape-head instead of the tape seems to give better/more accurate results …? I guess I’ll have to rebuild something like this. Thanks for reminding me :wink:

… and I like his super-kludgy “killswitch” made of Q-Tips, aluminium-foil and dimes :slight_smile: MacGyver would be proud.

I had a similar idea for my final Art degree course. I ended up using my new Mac and Macromedia Director, instead.

It’s a cool idea, though.

a|x

Now make a way to write audio files to the tape, and I will be very intetested. Some sort of automated sweeper would be needed for that, but as it has been pointed out there isn’t too much new here. I really like the DIY foil circuts in the video. If I want to scratch a tape file for now, I’ll just use my DAW.

Audio files to tape?
How about a device called “tape recorder”? lol

Yes, you have to crack open those tapes and splice some, but it works!

Cut the guy some slack!
This is an amplified analog instrument.

It could be done on any MCU and some memory in an afternoon but this is a piece of art.

It’s really cool actually, would love to see someone do live performance scratching with a similar setup.

>Audio files to tape?
I meant without cutting the tape. :slight_smile:
There are still tape manufacturers in the United sates, and they would jump on the opportunity to sell these strips - IF they could be written to as a strip. You can’t very well sell commercial samples just because they are on a 10 second strip of tape. I think that being able to overdub is one of the best things about tape too, the more you over dub the more “character” it gets as each recording influences the others. I really think that being able to record to the tape strip is just as important as reading from it. You can’t do that with vinyl.

>Cut the guy some slack!
Look at the cost in the Kickstarter. If it is going to be that much, I think that asking for a record function is reasonable! It would be cheaper to implement it now instead of later. Even just a “manual” record function would be great. Hell, you could make it fairly accurate by adding an accelerometer to measure the “speed” to put the signal onto the tape. This could lead to a whole other experimental side of the instrument. If you are going to have it mass-produced make it as functional as possible.

Also, I have a fairly extensive tape and vinyl library. If I wanted to chop my copy of Amen brother down to the few rotations of the Amen Break, you would think I was crazy!

One last thing I LOVE about this interface, you can directly mark where a sample begins and ends! Yes, you would have to have a different piece of paper for each sample, but I do that already with some synth patches!