How to check if Plaits is in tune

Hi all,

I am a relative newbie to Eurorack (and non-midi music making in general) but Plaits was the first voice I bought a few months ago and i had great fun with it up until now, eventually pairing it up with Marbles. The following question may very well demonstrate a great lack of musical knowledge…

Lately I got the feeling that, with the frequency know at 12 'o clock, Plaits is sounding a tad too high. I have already tweaked the range using the hold knob and twisting the Harmonics knob, but that does not change a lot.

I have a simple tuning app on my phone (just using the microphone so that might be slightly off) and even with all the knobs at center position and a simple C out from my keystep pro I seem to get wildly erring results.

I really see no reason why it could be off (I did play around with the internal LPG and envelope for a bit), so I am looking for a simple way/setting to check whether it is in tune.

• What model should I use for best results?
  • Knob positions (currently all centered)?
  • No input apart from a trigger and a v/oct from my keystep. (Silly question aside: i don’t know which C on my keystep pro represent 1V or 3V either, and Googling it does not yield a straight answer)?

Calibration seems like a step too far, as other topics seem to suggest that it’s not that easy to ‘detune’ it, and I would have to have a clear 1V or 3V source (or buy a multimeter and start measuring my keystep pro output).

Again, sorry for the apparent lack of knowledge, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yves

The easiest model to check tuning is the pair of analog waveforms. Keep TIMBRE at 12 o’clock and MORPH fully CW. The signal on OUT will be a square wave, which is very fool-proof for a tuner.

Also, have you tried changing the range of the FREQUENCY knob to something narrower than the full range? When the knob has the full octave range, a slight change in position will cause a large change in pitch. And because of mechanical backlash, what you think is the 12 o’clock position might be 49.9% or 50.1%.

10 cents? several semitones?

Thanks, using this I’m able to get a steady C3 out with the knob at 12 and my range at the 4d led from the bottom.

What is weird is that if I increase this range the C shifts up an octave every time, while I was under the impression that it would always be the centre and then lower futher down as you turn CCW and further up as you move CW.

And if i select the full range, even coming from quite a clean C, I end up with a B3 at my tuner… But then that might be the knob sensitivity?

No, this is not how it works! From the manual:

“The first 8 settings correspond to C0 +/- 7 semitones, C1 +/- 7 semitones, and so on”

So the amplitude, is always 14 semitones (one fifth down, one fifth up), and what you actually change is which note is at the center.

This is not statistics’ range (difference between highest and lowest value), but music’s range (lowest note and highest note).

Yes, what happens when you nudge it a little?

This actually clears up a whole lot of my thinking. In my ‘non-musical affinity’ i treated the knob too much as range, and potentially had it too high up in a number of patches.

And some of the models are just too complex for my simple tuner to follow. I could have come up with that clean square wave with a bit of additional thinking, but there you go :wink:

I’ll try and see if I can nudge it at the full range setting tomorrow.

Thanks! Might seem trivial but it helps a lot.

Also, some of them produce mixtures of several pitched tones, or even unpitched tones (noise or inharmonic tones).